Quick JEM Question

  • j0hnr0bb0
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
      Hi All

      on 5th JEM batch now, 1st 24hrs it went like a rocket , infact it bubbled over !!!! 1st time thats happened to me , 48 hrs to complet
      the question is, do i still keep putting in 2 table spoons of miracle grow in ?

      the wash is very very green now.

      Thanks

      Robbo
    • rosnekcaj
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
        Heve you stuck a finger in and tasted it? Should taste like wine.
        Rosnekcaj

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > on 5th JEM batch now, 1st 24hrs it went like a rocket , infact it bubbled over !!!! 1st time thats happened to me , 48 hrs to complet
        > the question is, do i still keep putting in 2 table spoons of miracle grow in ?
        >
        > the wash is very very green now.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Robbo

      • j0hnr0bb0
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
          HI Rosnekcaj

          sorry it's completed out in 48hrs SG .99 , I just wondering do i have to
          keep putting in Miracle Grow into the new Batch's

          just thats its really GREEN !!!

          Thanks Any hows

          Robbo

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
            Hi Robbo,

            Never really had that problem if your straining out all the liquid. You
            can try cutting back to 1.5 TBS. if you want to and see what happens.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            wrote:

            > HI Rosnekcaj
            >
            > sorry it's completed out in 48hrs SG .99 , I just wondering do i have
            > keep putting in Miracle Grow into the new Batch's
            >
            > just thats its really GREEN !!!
            >
            > Thanks Any hows
            >

            > Robbo
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" jensor4@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Heve you stuck a finger in and tasted it? Should taste like wine.
            > > Rosnekcaj
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" robbojohn@ wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi All
            > > >
            > > > on 5th JEM batch now, 1st 24hrs it went like a rocket , infact it
            > bubbled over !!!! 1st time thats happened to me , 48 hrs to complet
            > > > the question is, do i still keep putting in 2 table spoons of
            > miracle grow in ?
            > > >
            > > > the wash is very very green now.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > >
            > > > Robbo

          • rosnekcaj
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
              Hi Robbo-
              I'm curious. What was the starting gravity?
              rosnekcaj

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@...> wrote:

              > Hi All
              >
              > on 5th JEM batch now, 1st 24hrs it went like a rocket , infact it bubbled over !!!! 1st time thats happened to me , 48 hrs to complet
              > the question is, do i still keep putting in 2 table spoons of miracle grow in ?
              >
              > the wash is very very green now.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Robbo

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@...> wrote:

                > HI Rosnekcaj
                >
                > sorry it's completed out in 48hrs SG .99 , I just wondering do i have to
                > keep putting in Miracle Grow into the new Batch's
                >
                > just thats its really GREEN !!!
                >
                > Thanks Any hows

                Look anything like this:
                That distilled fine. However I only used the sediment in the bottom
                to start the next batch.

                Mason
              • bigdaddyg851
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2010
                  i am useing rockstar (punch flavor) enrgy drink and the color of my JEM wash is like a brownish . yeah mason, that wash looks like it could even glow in the dark. :)
                  bigdaddyg

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > HI Rosnekcaj
                  > >
                  > > sorry it's completed out in 48hrs SG .99 , I just wondering do i have to
                  > > keep putting in Miracle Grow into the new Batch's
                  > >
                  > > just thats its really GREEN !!!
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Any hows
                  > >

                  > Look anything like this:
                  > That distilled fine. However I only used the sediment in the bottom
                  > to start the next batch.
                  >
                  > Mason

                • j0hnr0bb0
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 27, 2010
                    Hey Rosnekcaj

                    started with 10 pound of inverted sugar , starting gravity was 1.085sg

                    Cheers

                    Robbo

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rosnekcaj" <jensor4@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Robbo-
                    > I'm curious. What was the starting gravity?
                    > rosnekcaj
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "j0hnr0bb0" <robbojohn@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi All
                    > >
                    > > on 5th JEM batch now, 1st 24hrs it went like a rocket , infact it bubbled over !!!! 1st time thats happened to me , 48 hrs to complet
                    > > the question is, do i still keep putting in 2 table spoons of miracle grow in ?
                    > >
                    > > the wash is very very green now.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Robbo

                  • rosnekcaj
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                      Waldo-
                      After the initial cycle and starting subsequent batches from the previous trub, is it necessary or helpful to aerate the subsequent washes?

                      rosnekcaj

                      -
                    • Ric Cunningham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                        That depends on how long it has been since the cessation of fermentation. Once the yeast goes dormant many of the cells will die off. Aeration is used to allow the cells to divide and create enough cell count to properly ferment. If fermentation just stopped within a few days maybe not so much but if it has been over a week then aeration is called for. A little aeration at the start of fermentation won't hurt anyway since the yeast will take it up in either case. Wort or beer oxidation is not a big issue if you are going to distill soon after the cessation of fermentation.

                        --
                        Ric Cunningham
                        Wilypig Brewing
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 28, 2010
                          Ditto and depends on how much trub you have built up and how fast you
                          want your fermentation to go. The more aeration, the more yeast cells
                          per ml.

                          JB.

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Ric Cunningham <wilypig@...>