Re: [new_distillers] Re: Very Hard Water

  • Ric Cunningham
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2010
      Brewers yeast fermentations like the PH around 5 to 5.5 but the PH my drop quite low depending on the original gravity of the fermentation. Yeast will not perform well once the PH drops below about 4. PH management is more of an issue for grain mashes than for sugar washes but buffering the PH with citric acid or lemon juice is fine. If you have a sour mash you may see very low PH levels that are not always conducive to happy yeast. The best wash will come from a very healthy and happy ferment.

      On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM, jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      I would make your sugar wash and then test the pH - usually around a 5.0
      to 5.5 area is fine for the pH.

      JB.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...>

      --
      Ric Cunningham
      Wilypig Brewing
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 26, 2010
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

        > I haven't cooked a thing yet or even made a wash. I am still working on my still. I have fittings ordered and while I am waiting for them to arrive I thought I would start a sugar wash. I believe I read that the wash can sit for some time after it is done fermenting.
        > My problem is my water. I have well water. It is very hard with a PH of 7.8. Would it be ok to lower the PH using lemon juice? I tried a couple drops in a glass of water and it dropped dramatically.

        I began my interest in distilling by getting the "The Good Booze Recipe and Cookbook" by James C Krohn available from Paladin Press at the time.
        Mr Krohn recommends adding 3/4 cup of Calgon (laundry detergent aid that softens water) for every 26 gallons of mash.
        He states that it greatly improves the sugar to alchol conversion and adds no taste to the final product.
        I recommend this book for anyone just starting.