Re: [new_distillers] Re: strange temperature reading

  • Ric Cunningham
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 22, 2010
      Your higher than expected temperature readings may be due to a slight pressure build up. This causes the temp/pressure relationship to result in a higher temp  for a given situation. Also elevation from sea level will have an effect, usually the opposite though.

      On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 10:38 PM, datv datv <datv@...> wrote:

      hmmmm.... I'm running a refractionating still and my temp is always higher than I think it should be.  At the end of the run it is over 100'C.  I've tried different thermometers and calibrated them all.  Can't figure it out.

      From: flat_black32@...
      Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:15:48 +0000
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: strange temperature reading

      If I ever get around to running mine I'll let you know if that works. I can't find a gasket I'm satisfied with and so far have just run water through it. We'll see...

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vanisl_seadog" <vi_papillions@...> wrote:

      > Very interesting, I'm at the same point in working with my new pot still. I am finding the temp running at 94°C. Checked the thermometer in boiling water and it does calabrate at 100C. I'm figuring that the water has boiled and the vapor temperature has droped to 94 when entering the cooling column. So far my greu and mentor says just pick the temperature up to the point where the discharge from the condenser just starts and note the temp at the head of the still. Don't put too much power into it so the temp change very slow. Run the wash until the temp starts to change. It's not the actual temp you should be looking for, it's the point where the temp starts to go up,
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "flat_black32" <flat_black32@> wrote:
      > >
      > > So I did a test run, with my pot still (with a very tall arm for some reflux action). The thermometer is mounted at the top of the arm before the vapor goes over into the condenser.
      > >
      > > I just ran some water through it, and the water vapor temperature was 95C. Is this a normal reading? It seems to me it should have been 100. Does this mean my thermo is 5& off?
      > >
      > > I'm not sure how this related to alcohol vapor. I mean, should I correct my cuts by 5%. For example, instead of collecting at 78C should I reduce it by 5& and collect around 74C? Or am I completely off my nut and asking stupid questions and should just collect at 78C like the books say?

      Ric Cunningham
      Wilypig Brewing
      "If you can make macaroni and cheese from a box, you can make great beer."
      Niagara Association of Homebrewers