Re: Got some blue tint!

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2010
      Hi Flat,

      Tell your buddy to put a drop of ordinary household ammonia in a small sample of the spirit. If it turns much more blue, you have more copper in your spirit than I'd care to drink. If the "blueness" doesn't change, it may be that a very slightly basic wash, combined with nitrogen-containing nutrients, has dissolve a tiny bit of copper from the still, and has colored it with small amounts of the very blue copper-ammonia complex that you'd see in the first test.

      Probably not much copper involved, but I'd still be hesitant to drink it.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller