Doughnut mash?

  • riverpiratesteve
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15 8:59 PM
      Well, a friend of mine has informed me that his family owns a doughnut shop here in town. I guess they throw out a couple garbage bags a day of doughnuts that arent sold in their allotted shelf life. So I am pretty sure that ill be able to use this to make a neutral with. Im pretty sure that there are almost no preservatives, other than a bit in some jams.

      I havent done any grain mashes yet. Have only played with sugar head. But Im sure it will have evrything needed for my little yeastie pals once converted with enzymes. So I am just gonna propose what I had planned and hopefully get some feedback to make sure im on the right track.

      - Take doughnuts and put into 45 gal food grade drum.
      -add water to completely submerge doughnuts
      -blend using drill and mixing paddle
      -heat using steam injection system to Applicable temp for alpha amylase
      -correct ph level to alpha
      -add alpha
      -cool to appropriate temp for beta amylase, and correct ph
      -adjust mash with water shooting for an OG of 1.080 for a bakers yeast
      -add nutrients (i use killed yeast, DAP, epsom salt, plant food, once a day multi vit)
      -pitch yeast

      Im pretty sure this will work, just thought id run it by the group before i waste precious time. And more importantly waste space in my fermenters!!!!!