Re: New Still Design Help

  • Carter Raff
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2010
      Ric, that's exactly why I was asking how much it should hold.

      Anyway, Ric, I was reading the recent posts of Tom making the LM/VM still as described in your sketch and I started thinking about my head that I started building and realized your head might be a lot better. So if you can answer some questions I'd appreciate it.

      1. I take it that this would work with a 4" column?

      2. Since I'm using a 4" column should the take off be bigger than 1"?

      3. What are the benefits to this design, I take it that it makes separating the Foreshots, Heads and Tails easier?

      4. What purity can I expect from this and what is the take off of heads ml/minute?

      5.How do I run this? Once the thermometer at the top registers vapor coming up how long do I let it reflux before taking off foreshots, how do I know when to stop taking foreshots and start taking heads?

      Thanks.