RE: [new_distillers] Re: Is Brewhaus a sting?

  • Brewhaus / Hot Sauce Depot
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 9, 2010

      E-mail is best, as I am not at the warehouse all of the time, but I can answer e-mails even in off-hours.

                  Rick

    • Rasputin Paracelsus
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010
        Depends on where you are.

        In Canada, for example, owning anything capable of distilling alcohol is
        technically illegal (if you read the laws regarding distillation, which
        are available on-line). How that translates into practice is another
        question; and in any case this instance doesn't apply to you. But could
        potentially be a similar issue, quite apart from physical report filing....

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2010

          True for Canada Ras,

          But in the USA you can legally own a still but not produce alcoholic substances from it without a permit and many restrictions.  As Rick Morris mentioned, you can use a distillation device for many things.  Ive even seen an old copper one made into a lamp lol.....

          This is a quote from Brewhaus's competitor:

          "It is legal to own a moonshine still or alcohol still, but illegal to produce and sell alcohol  and moonshine without a proper license. Many home brewing enthusiasts use a high-tech version of a moonshine still to produce other distilled alcohol beverages for their own personal consumption. Before investing in a home moonshine or alcohol still system, however, it pays to know the local laws concerning the production of alcoholic beverages."

          http://www.moonshinestill.us/

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 11, 2010
            Hi,

            Yeah, weird, isn't it. Particularly when one considers that careful
            queries on my part suggest that in reality here the authorities
            apparently don't give a rat's derrière whether one *uses *such an
            apparatus or not, never mind just owning one. It's all very ironic. (And
            on the other hand we've had absinthe around here for ages... Go figure!)

            Anyway, I just posted this for the sake of pointing out the locale issue :)

            Thanks Jim!

            And while I'm at it... Welcome back, Mason! I was just about to send off
            an off-list message to the effect that I hoped all was well when I saw
            your recent response. I guess not altogether well, but pleased to hear
            that it's ultimately all on the mend!