Re: Taboos

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2010
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

      > The first 5 gallon batch that I am trying to ferment has a specific gravity of 1.020. The second 5 gallon batch is 1.032. Neither batch has ever shown any visible signs of fermentation. i.e. no bubbles.
      >
      > The starting specific gravity I think was 1.020. The value of 8% potential alcohol that I quoted was in error, I think the real value was 5%. The solution was so thick that I am not sure that any of the starting specific gravity and potential alcohol readings that I took are valid. The entrained solids have mostly settled out, so I had some fairly clear liquid to test this time.
      >
      > I am thinking that I will toss both batches and try again using some enzymes that I ordered.
      >
      > My goal is to make pure corn whiskey, without adding any sugars. Is that too ambitious for a rank amateur?
      >
      > Thanks for the help.

      Those are very low numbers. There's nothing sugary (or very little) for the yeast to work on. You'll get no alcohol. 1.060 or thereabouts is usual for grain mashes.

      Rather than throw them out (a waste), add 5 lb sugar to each fermenter and at least get something for you efforts.

      Liquefy the sugar first with a quart of hot water per 5 lb. When you add the sugar water to the mash, DO IT SLOWLY or you may have a volcano mess to clean up. Give it a gentle stir and recover it. If it's not working in 2 hrs, re-pitch more yeast.

      All grain whisk(e)y is not a good place to start for newbies, unless you have lots of grain beer experience to begin with.