Re: baking soda

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2010
      Hi Andy,

      Baking soda is used in a fermetation only as a buffer if the pH falls
      too low. Yeast work best between 4.0 and 6.0 pH. If needed, use it
      sparingly - our yeast friends dont like too much sodium in their
      environment. Potassium bicarbonate is better.

      It may also be used to reduce ethyl acetate in your spirits run. To
      quote the immortal ZB:

      " Sodium Bicarbonate - eh? Uhm, to us laymen...that's baking soda,
      right? So, you take your fermented wash, do a stripping run - then
      dilute back down to 30% and add "a handful" of baking soda...do a second
      distillation - then dilute it
      back down again (?) to 30%, another handful of baking soda and then a
      third distillation?

      All correct. The presence of baking soda as an excess reactant
      (chemistry for more than you need) suppresses the formation of ethyl
      acetate (bad tastes) during second or more distillation ONLY. Adding
      bicarb to your first distillation may give you the "blue ookies",
      something to avoid." (Zymergy Bob to most)....

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

      > I am currently preparing another sugar wash for distilling this
      weekend. Pretty basic..8 kilos of sugar and a packet of 48 hour turbo
      yeast. However, I seem to recall baking soda being a part of the
      process. Anybody know of this?