Re: distilling rye mash advice

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 8, 2010
      Double boiler sounds good but might want to put up a tent and build a
      campfire. Could you put some of the grains in a 5 gallon paint
      strainer over your screen and put some weights on top and see what
      strains out a few times?

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whackfol" <whackfol@...> wrote:

      > I just finished a batch of rye made with 11.8Kg. of malted rye in 40L
      of water. After fermentation (on the grain), I squeezed out what I could
      of the remaining liquid from the grain. Expecting to get about 36L, I
      only collected 30L gallons. I know this is because of grain absorption
      and my inability to strain the mush effectively . The last time I used
      this recipe, I sparged the grains after mashing, collected 36L of wort
      and fermented. In both cases the starting s.g. was 1.06. I hate to waste
      the alcohol.

      > My question is, Do you think I could distill the mash? I use a propane
      fired 30L pot still. I have a screen for the bottom when I make grappa.
      My thought is to either use the screen to keep the solids from burning
      or drop my pot in a larger vessel and create a double boiler.