Re: [new_distillers]45gall cider

  • John Vandermeulen
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2002
      > By the way- do you know what type of apple you were using?-

      I used a wide variety of apples, whatever was available at the time. Nova Scotia
      has extensive apple orchards - except of course that they are all
      eating/pie/juice apples - sorry , no Kingston Black.I did find some suppliers of
      some of the English/Normandy plants/scions through out the US, also one in B.C.
      near Vancouver - on the web.

      > I've
      > been trying to find Kingstong Black apples for 2 years- it's a very old cider
      > apple from England- I'm starting to think no one grows it anymore. Another
      > hint: When crushed, cider apples (as well as wild and crab apples) tend to
      > produce a more granular, dry pulp than dessert types, which, when ground,
      > look like a soupy applesauce. As to my whereabouts last fall- I don't
      > remember- I think that the memory loss has something to do with a batch of
      > apple-jack (freeze concentrated cider),

      I do think that I will have another go at this cider thing, but for pot
      distilling. I can make ca. 23L at a time - ferment it, and pot distill. My
      potstill column seems to like producing 50-55%abv, so if I distill it once and
      collect down to 40%abv, that should yield an apple-y spirit. I think that I will
      get myself a few litres of apple juice and experiment.John V

      > and a batch of banana champagne that
      > were blended last year at the begining of the apple harvest season.

      ├┐WPC5