Re: Going to build

  • fred081646
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
      Got to thinking about my tee construction, it won't work.
      It was pretty stupid of me to post that. Glad I didn't try it and ruin some pipe. I think you could make a tee out of the 2" pipe but with a lot of work. Shaping the column to fit the condenser would be a pain. Not only a pain but no dam at all.
      Oh boy, wish I would have given it more thought before I advertised my stupidity.
      I will break down and buy the 2" tee. What some people like me will go through to save a buck LOL

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > I have a 2 1/8" hole saw. Would I be able to set the column into the condenser ( 2" pipe) by drilling a 2 1/8" hole in condenser. (pipe)
      > This would allow me to have a dam without the cost of having the column made smaller to fit into the condenser.
      > I will add a coupler so the condenser can be removed and used on different columns.
      >
      > I plan on going with electric elements instead of my original turkey fryer idea, because I want to cook indoors.
      >
      > Now on to the wattage thing. I have read about a wide range of elements being used, from 800 watt to 2000 watt for a run on a 2" column. I will be doing sugar washes only for now.
      > I understand that each still and the environment ( air temp and insulation) will determine the best wattage.
      > I was thinking of going with a 3500 watt for heat up then a 1440 for the run. Do you think this will work ok? I will be cooking 10 to 12 gallons at a time. I can insulate if I need to.
      > Wish I could afford a controller.
      >

      > On the condenser construction would 10" long 1/4" tubes be sufficient?
      >
      > I understand that I can't solder all tubes, plates, and end caps due to the melting of the solder on the previous soldered joints. I can't braze due to not having sufficient heat.
      > Is there some way to build the condenser without having to braze?
      > Does silver solder and regular solder have the same melting point?
      >
      > I plan on getting a small car radiator and fan from the junkyard for cooling the condenser. Maybe I will try to use the radiator shroud also.
      >

      > I removed the valve from the keg and it leaves a short 2" ID column.
      > I was going to go to the muffler shop and have them make or buy a short stainless 2" OD to 2 1/8" ID adapter for my column.
      > I know this won't give me much access for cleaning, but I plan on just sugar wash runs for now, I can add a bowl later.
      >
      > Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thank You Fred

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > My name is Fred and I am a newbie to distilling.
      > > I have been reading for a solid month and am ready to take the plunge.
      > > The only thing I have now that I can use is a propane turkey fryer.
      > > I was thinking of going with a 15 gallon beer keg.
      > > Gonna call the local scrap yards tomorrow for a keg.
      > > I want to build a reflux still and I have looked at internal reflux plans and understand how they work. I can build that.
      > >
      > > I have heard that valved reflux stills are easier to operate and control.
      > > Does anyone know of where I can find some plans for a valved reflux still?
      > > I am sorry if somewhere I am overlooking some obvious place.
      > > I have heard about the valve sizes to use and lots of other info on the valved reflux but I haven't found any plans to build one.
      > > Can anyone help me?
      > >
      > > Thank You Fred
      > >
      > > And happy brewing. whatta wonderful hobby.

    • ric
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
        While you are at it include the VM path as well; save you a lot of bother later and you will love the simplicity of operation and the quality of product.

        Your running element is way to big. 650/800 will be in the ball park. insulate both your boiler and column.

        Why would you include the slanted plates if you are taking LM via the cross flow.

        Full marks for spending $30 bucks on the T ; onsidering you are going to save hundreds every time you run a batch.

        have fun

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

        > Got to thinking about my tee construction, it won't work.
        > It was pretty stupid of me to post that. Glad I didn't try it and ruin some pipe. I think you could make a tee out of the 2" pipe but with a lot of work. Shaping the column to fit the condenser would be a pain. Not only a pain but no dam at all.
        > Oh boy, wish I would have given it more thought before I advertised my stupidity.
        > I will break down and buy the 2" tee. What some people like me will go through to save a buck LOL

      • sigoma2007
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
          Hi everyone..first sorry for my bad english... my name is Marinho, and I am from Brasil, city of Luciara, Mato Grosso state (Lat 11°30'00" South Long 50°30'00" West, more or less). I am following these topic "Going to Build" all along and I am interest too in build a still, just the same as Fred. I download the pdf paper "Building a home destillation apparatus, about two type of stills. For me the second type, "valved reflux still head" WAS the best.It isa the same
          menicioned by Jerry in their post to Fred.I'm still at the beginning of my projeto, and in fase of read all about it, but decide to do the same project Fred.
          I download too the Bokakob's drawings. Ric, In one of your post to Fred you advise to use VM (vapor management?) to improve the still and late, in other post, sad about a schematic sketch in your photo folder in Distillers. I want you to leave these skletch to me, if possible.Then it is my intention to continue with the matter and I ask Fred to pass, if possible, all information to help me in my projeto.Here in Brazil, produce distilates for their own use or to commercialize artesanal products is not prohibited. But I intend, for now, only make brandy ("cachaça" from sugarcane) for myself and
          friends.
          Tanks a lot for all, best regards,
          Marinho.

          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sigoma2007" <sigoma2007@...> wrote:

            > I download too the Bokakob's drawings. Ric, In one of your post to Fred you advise to use VM (vapor management?) to improve the still and late, in other post, sad about a schematic sketch in your photo folder in Distillers. I want you to leave these skletch to me, if possible.
            > friends.
            > Tanks a lot for all, best regards,
            > Marinho.

            LM  VM schematic
          • fred081646
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 14, 2010
              I am in the process of building Harry's cross flow condenser for my still. I have a 5' column with 24 ss scrubbers and am planning on running about 900 watts in a 15 gal beer keg. I don't want to make the condenser to small. It is too much work to throw away. Plus I may want to use it on another still with more wattage later. I just wondered what length 1/4" tubes others were using for an all around condenser.
              Thank You Fred