distilling rye mash advice

  • whackfol
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2010
      I just finished a batch of rye made with 11.8Kg. of malted rye in 40L of water. After fermentation (on the grain), I squeezed out what I could of the remaining liquid from the grain. Expecting to get about 36L, I only collected 30L gallons. I know this is because of grain absorption and my inability to strain the mush effectively . The last time I used this recipe, I sparged the grains after mashing, collected 36L of wort and fermented. In both cases the starting s.g. was 1.06. I hate to waste the alcohol.

      My question is, Do you think I could distill the mash? I use a propane fired 30L pot still. I have a screen for the bottom when I make grappa. My thought is to either use the screen to keep the solids from burning or drop my pot in a larger vessel and create a double boiler.

      Any thoughts?
      Thanks,
      Whack
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2010
        Double boiler sounds good but might want to put up a tent and build a
        campfire. Could you put some of the grains in a 5 gallon paint
        strainer over your screen and put some weights on top and see what
        strains out a few times?

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.