Re: Brandy messed up

  • Geoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2010
      Hello Daddy and hi folks,
      If it were mine I would not re- distill it, I would blend it to reduce the sweetness, and re-blend to bring the flavour up because of the increased volume.

      Add sufficient alcohol, probably somewhat higher than drinking strength (your choice, sounds like brandy would be ideal but you may not have any; vodka/neutral spirit?) so that it is not too sweet, allowing for adding a bit more liquid after maceration.
      Then add a lot more strawberries and let it go to sleep for a while.
      Couple of months?
      When it is ready strain off the strawberries and eat them with some ice cream.
      Then adjust the alcohol level in the liquour (add water or even fruit juice).
      It should be fantastic.

      Regards,

      The Baker

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Daddymam" <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

      > About a year ago a friend of mine took some Christian Brothers Brandy and added a bunch of strawberries and sugar. After letting it set for a couple of months they strained the mixture and tried to drink it, they found that they have added way too much sugar.
      >
      > They gave me the mixture and said I could have it. We drank some of it in strawberry daiquiris that were ok but still way to sugary.
      >
      > I want to re-distill this mixture so I can save the alcohol from it. I have a 2.5 gallon still and my heat source is propane. I have about 1/2 a gallon left of the mixture and I was thinking of adding in about a gallon of water to thin it out so that the sugar will not burn.
      >
      > If I do my run and keep my still to where my column head is about 172f to 175f do you think I will have any problems with the sugar burning? Should I collect for methanol and heads?
      >
      > Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
      >
      > Daddyman
      > The best for last.

    • riverpiratesteve
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 8, 2010
        Id have to agree with the the baker their too. The mascerated fruit liqeurs are wonderful. And I never fire up my still unless its got a full couple of runs....