Re: Searching for azeotrope questions

  • billfitz49
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2010
      > Adding to what Harry said,
      >
      > I'm using an 1100-watt element for my spirit runs, which works ok. Also I noticed that you did'nt get your still into equibium? Run your still in full reflux for about an hour or so.
      >
      > In other words, after you get the still up to temperature, run it at your lowest wattage for about hour with all your valves closed. Then bleed the heads off slowly as you can with the needle valve, drip a second until you're into the good stuff, then use the VM valve. You should achieve better separation this way.
      >
      > Cheers
      > Marc

      Thanks for the advice Harry and Marc.

      A friend of mine is now building me a power controller (I'm electrically challenged) and as soon as the controller is done I'll try another run with less power. In my earlier run, I did equilibrate the still for over an hour after heat up, then took off the heads drop by drop via the needle valve. If less power doesn't do the trick I'll try a couple of reflux centering rings in the lower half of the column.

      Regards
      Bill