Brandy

  • Brian Hopper
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2010
      hello their you shouldnt collect any heads of that mixture as it stands by diluting your going to lose an awfull lot of flavour try destilling on smaller still if you have one a good small copper pot still  becouse any dilution will ruin flavour the sugar may burn but try using water bath hope this helps brian

    • shedhouse662
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        I have 3 gallons of red wine that was fermented about a year ago. It has been in a 3 gallon glass carboy with a stopper and an air lock on it the entire time. It tastes pretty vinegary and is not pleasant to drink. The ph is 3.4. The SG is .995. The abv is 5%. I want to run it thru my pot still to make a brandy. Is there anything I need to do before running in the still?
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shedhouse662" <tocowdrey3@...> wrote:

          > I have 3 gallons of red wine that was fermented about a year ago. It has been in a 3 gallon glass carboy with a stopper and an air lock on it the entire time. It tastes pretty vinegary and is not pleasant to drink. The ph is 3.4. The SG is .995. The abv is 5%. I want to run it thru my pot still to make a brandy. Is there anything I need to do before running in the still?

          Yep.  Throw it out and start again.  There's NO alcohol in it.  The vinegar bugs have eaten the alc.

          Even if it did still have your estimated 5% abv, what's 5% of 3 gallons?.... 570ml.  After distillation of that small amount, and heads/tails cut & efficiency losses, you MIGHT get 350ml of usable ethanol.  About enough to make up 1 standard bottle of not-so-nice booze.

          Of course it's up to you if you want the learning experience and can stand the disappointment & power costs.

        • rhodeseng
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2011
            start with stinky booze and end up with stinky distilled booze.