Re: Oak cask source

  • miciofelice2003
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
      Ciao Harold!

      Here attached you'll find two interesting links of italian casks makers; unfortunately aren't in english, but you can use the translator (good luck!). If you are in troubles I can help you as a translator.
      I bought some casks from both the links: from arte Cafaro I bought two casks (ash tree wood cask, 10 liters of capacity, and cherry tree wood cask, 10 liters too), and from the other link I bought a acacia tree wood cask of 10 liters of capacity.
      The rate "cask lateral surface/internal volume" of a small cask is quite higher than a barrique cask and so I calculated how much lateral surface had to be coated to avoid the air contact to reach the same ratio of a barrique.
      Such in this way now I'm sure that my casks have the same behaviour of a classical barrique and take the right time to get the typical aroma of aged grappa.

      I don't like the use of chips: to get the colour (and some aromas) is only one of the advantages of aging with the aid of wood cask; the other big advantage is the possibility to get flavours and to "stabilize" the spirit thanks to the micro-exchange of oxigen through the micro-pores of the wood. Thus the ethilic alcohol is oxidated and some new acida are created; those ones react with the alchools to get esters that are very important to create the right bouquet of the grappa.
      So you can see that chips can't give all those things.

      The links are:
      http://www.artecafaro.it/pdf/Listino-Arte_Cafaro.pdf
      http://stores.shop.ebay.it/Ditta-Agora-Botti-di-MARSALA__W0QQ_armrsZ1

      Ciao a tutti

      micio felice

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003" <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Harold!
      > > If you want some italian casks, even of different kind of wood, of small capacity (volume) ask and I'll post some address of oaks makers.
      > > Ciao a tutti
      > >
      > > micio felice
      >
      > Micio - Italian casks would certainly be of interest. Also used casks as well. I know a red wine cask could impart an interesting nuance to a spirit. Thanks for following up on this!
      >
      > Ciao,
      > Harold

    • whackfol
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
        Also try the Barrel Mill for some smaller barrels.

        They also sell a spiral infusion oak stick which I have had good luck with.