Re: Searching for azeotrope questions

  • mav
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billfitz49" <billfitz@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Advice on tweaking my VM rig would be appreciated. I just completed a vapor management final run and didn’t achieve azeotrope.
      > >
      > > My equipment is a crossflow head which I have been using for rum and whiskey up till now. I extended the 2 inch diameter column to 5 feet and packed it tightly with Amphora mesh. The outside is insulated. Below the head is a section with a T to a one inch SS gate valve that leads the vapor to an elbow and liebig hanging below. My 12 gallon boiler is fitted with 2 heating elements of 1500 watts each. After heat up I cut the power to one of the elements, took off the heads via a needle valve and then changed over to VM.
      > >
      > > At first I was getting 92 ABV so I re-leveled the column which was tilted a bit. Then inside the column I soldered in a reflux centering disc with a short piece of ¾ inch tube in the center so the reflux dripping down from the condenser would fall into the center of the mesh. I figured this might solve potential channeling problems.
      > >
      > > That brought the distillate to 94 ABV, maybe a RCH more but no higher and that stayed steady when I was taking off slowly at 15 ml per minute.
      > >
      > > The stuff tastes good but I’d like to hit azeotrope. The only things I can think of trying are:
      > >
      > > 1. Get a power controller so I can play with the power. Right now it’s 1500 watts or nothing. I removed some of the insulation from the column but that had no effect on purity or
      > >
      > > 2. Repack the column a little less tightly or
      > >
      > > 3. Don’t worry about it and be happy with 94 ABV.
      > >
      > > Any advice?
      > > Thanks,
      > > Bill
      > >

      > Reducing the power will do the trick.
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Adding to what Harry said,

      I'm using an 1100-watt element for my spirit runs, which works ok. Also I noticed that you did'nt get your still into equibium? Run your still in full reflux for about an hour or so.

      In other words, after you get the still up to temperature, run it at your lowest wattage for about hour with all your valves closed. Then bleed the heads off slowly as you can with the needle valve, drip a second until you're into the good stuff, then use the VM valve. You should achieve better separation this way.

      Cheers
      Marc
    • billfitz49
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2010
        > Adding to what Harry said,
        >
        > I'm using an 1100-watt element for my spirit runs, which works ok. Also I noticed that you did'nt get your still into equibium? Run your still in full reflux for about an hour or so.
        >
        > In other words, after you get the still up to temperature, run it at your lowest wattage for about hour with all your valves closed. Then bleed the heads off slowly as you can with the needle valve, drip a second until you're into the good stuff, then use the VM valve. You should achieve better separation this way.
        >
        > Cheers
        > Marc

        Thanks for the advice Harry and Marc.

        A friend of mine is now building me a power controller (I'm electrically challenged) and as soon as the controller is done I'll try another run with less power. In my earlier run, I did equilibrate the still for over an hour after heat up, then took off the heads drop by drop via the needle valve. If less power doesn't do the trick I'll try a couple of reflux centering rings in the lower half of the column.

        Regards
        Bill