AIr cooled bokabob designs

  • riverpiratesteve
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 27, 2010
      Has anyone here run any of bokabobs air cooled designs? Ive been eyeballing them. and have been considering running a spiral setup for my reflux tube on top of a lm design still. im running propane therfore im outside in the garage in a canadian winter, so running hoses is a pain. has anyone tried this configuration with luck? this will then run to my liebig condensor, which I was thinking of adding "the porcupine" effect of adding a large amount of copper wire to increase heat exchange and then blow a fan on the two heat exchange areas to eliminate the waste of water. the cold atmosphere temperatures should make this possible im thinking.

      any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated

      argg
    • pugs2510
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 1:54 PM
        i have used er seen air cooled . i would use copper base board heat unit . .i found them in 4ft lengths vary easy ,then i would rig up 6-7 computer fans mounted onto the fins of the base board heat exchange unit ,Rig that to the on off heat control to your boiler and off you go , sorry this responce was so slow

        later pugs

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "riverpiratesteve" <riverpiratesteve@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone here run any of bokabobs air cooled designs? Ive been eyeballing them. and have been considering running a spiral setup for my reflux tube on top of a lm design still. im running propane therfore im outside in the garage in a canadian winter, so running hoses is a pain. has anyone tried this configuration with luck? this will then run to my liebig condensor, which I was thinking of adding "the porcupine" effect of adding a large amount of copper wire to increase heat exchange and then blow a fan on the two heat exchange areas to eliminate the waste of water. the cold atmosphere temperatures should make this possible im thinking.
        >
        > any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated
        >
        > argg

      • riverpiratesteve
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2 7:44 AM
          well going straight air cooled seems like too much of a pain, and is not really needed. Due to a few peoples input came up with an idea to utilize a heat exchange system like, a car radiator or the ones found in an air conditioner. Then to circulate the water using a small water pump. If it is an efficient heat exchanger, one should only need a resevoir of 20L or so(ie, a pail). So I guess the design is airr cooled, just a little simpler!!!