looking for a real "how to" guide on building (bending)a condenser

  • dsmith1997
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2010
      Would like to biuld another boka style unit but the condenser conrsruction makes me nervous. Looking for mor instructions, guidance, pictures. This would be for a 2in. column using 1/4 in of copper for the condendser. Should this be two rows by about 10-12 in long? Dosthis take 20 ft of pipe for a 12 in condednser. Need more sugestons before i start making too many mistakes. Never bent copper before but have the spring benders, Need advice or pictures.

      thanks, Duane
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2010

        Duane,

        Have look at this link in a previous posting on making coils …. http://tinyurl.com/ydf38fa  …probably one of the best step by step I have seen

        Ken

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
          Up until a month ago I had never bent copper either. I bought the spring benders like you have and believe me when I tell you you cannot create a coil using the benders. I have about 20 feet of pinched copper tubing to prove the benders will not help you

          ! closed off one end of the tubing and then filled the entire 10 foot length with salt, Shaking the salt down and making sure that the tubing was packed. I used a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe for a form, clamped one end and then bent the tubing around the PVC, Did the entire 10 feet in less than 15 minutes without a single pinch or crimp, the coil looked likd one you see in the pictures of the stills..

          The salt is easy to dump out or flush out. Make sure you control wheer the salt goes when filling and empting the tubing. Also do not do what I did and spill the salt on your cast iron table saw table and do a half-ass job cleaning it up. Makes for a lot of rust removal later on.

          Hope this helps.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
            Jerry,

            Consider this an invitation to take a look at the pictures of my stills under Ak Jay's Operation in photos. There are several different coils in there, all of them created using nothing more than the spring-type tubing bender and a piece of pipe for the form.

            If you have 20 feet of kinked up copper, it's probably because you were being too aggressive with it or just not using the right technique. Not to mention, 20 feet is not an unreasonable amount of tubing to waste when you are doing it for the first time in your life!

            Wrapping a coil around 1.25" PVC could probably be done without any bender or salt or any other silly thing you care to pack your pipe with. Try making a coil using a form of just .5".

            Just my $.02.

            Duane,

            If you are able to use a method like the one in the link that Ken gave you, do it. Your coil will come out perfect.