Oak cask source

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 26, 2010
      Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
      I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
      Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.

      Thanks!
    • chillin58
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
        try this link to ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/20L-Wood-Wooden-Wine-Rum-Whiskey-Liquor-Barrel-Beer-Keg_W0QQitemZ370089232755QQihZ024QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26ps%3D63

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

        > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
        > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
        > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Harold
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2010
          Yo, dude.... thanks for the love.... I was beginning to get insecure here... was my question stupid?/ did nobody ever use oak casks or maybe every one made their own with hand hewn wood staves and stone tools. All the silence.... the blackness of shouting into the abyss ... OK, now I'm getting carried away. It might be the aquavit I made... damn, it's quite good!

          Seriously, thanks for the tip!

          H aka sugawash1

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chillin58" <lyonhill@...> wrote:

          > try this link to ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/20L-Wood-Wooden-Wine-Rum-Whiskey-Liquor-Barrel-Beer-Keg_W0QQitemZ370089232755QQihZ024QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26ps%3D63
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
          > > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
          > > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
          > >
          > > Thanks!

        • miciofelice2003
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
            Hi Harold!
            If you want some italian casks, even of different kind of wood, of small capacity (volume) ask and I'll post some address of oaks makers.
            Ciao a tutti

            micio felice

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

            > Yo, dude.... thanks for the love.... I was beginning to get insecure here... was my question stupid?/ did nobody ever use oak casks or maybe every one made their own with hand hewn wood staves and stone tools. All the silence.... the blackness of shouting into the abyss ... OK, now I'm getting carried away. It might be the aquavit I made... damn, it's quite good!
            >
            > Seriously, thanks for the tip!
            >
            > H aka sugawash1
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "chillin58" <lyonhill@> wrote:
            > >
            > > try this link to ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/20L-Wood-Wooden-Wine-Rum-Whiskey-Liquor-Barrel-Beer-Keg_W0QQitemZ370089232755QQihZ024QQcategoryZ38172QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26ps%3D63
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
            > > > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
            > > > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks!

          • whammo57
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2010
              the one on ebay are made in mexico... is it really white oak??? they have a low price but cost $70 to ship it .... really???

              try Gibbs brothers cooperage..... I have one of their 5 gal kegs.. I haven't used it yet but the quality looks good and it's made in USA

              Kim
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

              > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
              > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
              > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Harold
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003" <miciofelice2003@...> wrote:

                > Hi Harold!
                > If you want some italian casks, even of different kind of wood, of small capacity (volume) ask and I'll post some address of oaks makers.
                > Ciao a tutti
                >
                > micio felice

                Micio - Italian casks would certainly be of interest. Also used casks as well. I know a red wine cask could impart an interesting nuance to a spirit. Thanks for following up on this!

                Ciao,
                Harold
              • Harold
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                  Kim - These look good (Gibbls Bros). I'll get one and see what happens.
                  Have you ever used Oak chips in a glass container to try to do the same thing? I'm currently using it for a plum brandy and the color is amazing.... it went from a clear spirit to amber in just a few hours. It continues to deepen, but still has a "bite" that I hope to mellow out of it. Any experience with chips?

                  Thanks!

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whammo57" <kimontheroad@...> wrote:

                  > the one on ebay are made in mexico... is it really white oak??? they have a low price but cost $70 to ship it .... really???
                  >
                  > try Gibbs brothers cooperage..... I have one of their 5 gal kegs.. I haven't used it yet but the quality looks good and it's made in USA
                  >
                  > Kim
                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
                  > > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
                  > > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!

                • whammo57
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                    I found a Jack Daniels half barrel at a garden supply. They were cutting them in half right there. I bought one and took it apart and cut up the staves to about a 1 inch square by 2 -3 inches long. I set them on the barbeque grill and burnt them with my propane torch. I used a half gallon jar with about 3 to 6 pieces of the wood and hooch at about 125 proof. It was great in about 2 to 3 months. so to ans your question.... yea it works great.

                    I have even heard that some of the whiskey distilleries can use used barrels. they add burnt oak pieces to increase the aging...

                    Kim

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

                    > Kim - These look good (Gibbls Bros). I'll get one and see what happens.
                    > Have you ever used Oak chips in a glass container to try to do the same thing? I'm currently using it for a plum brandy and the color is amazing.... it went from a clear spirit to amber in just a few hours. It continues to deepen, but still has a "bite" that I hope to mellow out of it. Any experience with chips?
                    >
                    > Thanks!
                    >
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "whammo57" <kimontheroad@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > the one on ebay are made in mexico... is it really white oak??? they have a low price but cost $70 to ship it .... really???
                    > >
                    > > try Gibbs brothers cooperage..... I have one of their 5 gal kegs.. I haven't used it yet but the quality looks good and it's made in USA
                    > >
                    > > Kim
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Anybody know of a good source for small oak casks (2-10 liters)?
                    > > > I would prefer to not spend the $100 I am seeing on various websites.
                    > > > Also, is it important that the cask be filled or can it be 1/2 full or some fraction. Basically wondering if the air is a problem.
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks!

                  • miciofelice2003
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 3, 2010
                      Ciao Harold!

                      Here attached you'll find two interesting links of italian casks makers; unfortunately aren't in english, but you can use the translator (good luck!). If you are in troubles I can help you as a translator.
                      I bought some casks from both the links: from arte Cafaro I bought two casks (ash tree wood cask, 10 liters of capacity, and cherry tree wood cask, 10 liters too), and from the other link I bought a acacia tree wood cask of 10 liters of capacity.
                      The rate "cask lateral surface/internal volume" of a small cask is quite higher than a barrique cask and so I calculated how much lateral surface had to be coated to avoid the air contact to reach the same ratio of a barrique.
                      Such in this way now I'm sure that my casks have the same behaviour of a classical barrique and take the right time to get the typical aroma of aged grappa.

                      I don't like the use of chips: to get the colour (and some aromas) is only one of the advantages of aging with the aid of wood cask; the other big advantage is the possibility to get flavours and to "stabilize" the spirit thanks to the micro-exchange of oxigen through the micro-pores of the wood. Thus the ethilic alcohol is oxidated and some new acida are created; those ones react with the alchools to get esters that are very important to create the right bouquet of the grappa.
                      So you can see that chips can't give all those things.

                      The links are:
                      http://www.artecafaro.it/pdf/Listino-Arte_Cafaro.pdf
                      http://stores.shop.ebay.it/Ditta-Agora-Botti-di-MARSALA__W0QQ_armrsZ1

                      Ciao a tutti

                      micio felice

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harold" <sugawash1@...> wrote:

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "miciofelice2003" <miciofelice2003@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Harold!
                      > > If you want some italian casks, even of different kind of wood, of small capacity (volume) ask and I'll post some address of oaks makers.
                      > > Ciao a tutti
                      > >
                      > > micio felice
                      >
                      > Micio - Italian casks would certainly be of interest. Also used casks as well. I know a red wine cask could impart an interesting nuance to a spirit. Thanks for following up on this!
                      >
                      > Ciao,
                      > Harold

                    • whackfol
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2010
                        Also try the Barrel Mill for some smaller barrels.

                        They also sell a spiral infusion oak stick which I have had good luck with.