RE: [new_distillers]45gall cider

  • Rev. David M Cunningham
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      << My mash was extremely mouth-puckering tart, apparently due to buildup of
      the malic acid . . . It was very disappointing, as I had looked forward to a
      nice sparkling hard apple wine. >>

      Well, another reason for the tart flavor can be from the fact that cider is
      made with tart apples whereas "traditional" apple wine is made with sweeter
      apples. The result of cider fermented out to wine levels will afford a tart
      tasting wine.

      Your Brother in Spirit,
      Rev. David M. Cunningham
      distiller@...

      NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
      intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
      which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
      otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
      transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
      forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
      telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2002
        > By the way- do you know what type of apple you were using?-

        I used a wide variety of apples, whatever was available at the time. Nova Scotia
        has extensive apple orchards - except of course that they are all
        eating/pie/juice apples - sorry , no Kingston Black.I did find some suppliers of
        some of the English/Normandy plants/scions through out the US, also one in B.C.
        near Vancouver - on the web.

        > I've
        > been trying to find Kingstong Black apples for 2 years- it's a very old cider
        > apple from England- I'm starting to think no one grows it anymore. Another
        > hint: When crushed, cider apples (as well as wild and crab apples) tend to
        > produce a more granular, dry pulp than dessert types, which, when ground,
        > look like a soupy applesauce. As to my whereabouts last fall- I don't
        > remember- I think that the memory loss has something to do with a batch of
        > apple-jack (freeze concentrated cider),

        I do think that I will have another go at this cider thing, but for pot
        distilling. I can make ca. 23L at a time - ferment it, and pot distill. My
        potstill column seems to like producing 50-55%abv, so if I distill it once and
        collect down to 40%abv, that should yield an apple-y spirit. I think that I will
        get myself a few litres of apple juice and experiment.John V

        > and a batch of banana champagne that
        > were blended last year at the begining of the apple harvest season.

        ├┐WPC5