Re: [new_distillers]45gall cider

  • ups474@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2002
      It might be more expensive- but instead of milling your own apples just call
      ahead and have the people running the orchard prepare the juice for you ahead
      of time. By the way- do you know what type of apple you were using?- I've
      been trying to find Kingstong Black apples for 2 years- it's a very old cider
      apple from England- I'm starting to think no one grows it anymore. Another
      hint: When crushed, cider apples (as well as wild and crab apples) tend to
      produce a more granular, dry pulp than dessert types, which, when ground,
      look like a soupy applesauce. As to my whereabouts last fall- I don't
      remember- I think that the memory loss has something to do with a batch of
      apple-jack (freeze concentrated cider), and a batch of banana champagne that
      were blended last year at the begining of the apple harvest season.
    • Rev. David M Cunningham
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2002
        << My mash was extremely mouth-puckering tart, apparently due to buildup of
        the malic acid . . . It was very disappointing, as I had looked forward to a
        nice sparkling hard apple wine. >>

        Well, another reason for the tart flavor can be from the fact that cider is
        made with tart apples whereas "traditional" apple wine is made with sweeter
        apples. The result of cider fermented out to wine levels will afford a tart
        tasting wine.

        Your Brother in Spirit,
        Rev. David M. Cunningham
        distiller@...

        NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
        intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
        which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
        otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
        transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
        forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
        telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.
      • John Vandermeulen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2002
          > By the way- do you know what type of apple you were using?-

          I used a wide variety of apples, whatever was available at the time. Nova Scotia
          has extensive apple orchards - except of course that they are all
          eating/pie/juice apples - sorry , no Kingston Black.I did find some suppliers of
          some of the English/Normandy plants/scions through out the US, also one in B.C.
          near Vancouver - on the web.

          > I've
          > been trying to find Kingstong Black apples for 2 years- it's a very old cider
          > apple from England- I'm starting to think no one grows it anymore. Another
          > hint: When crushed, cider apples (as well as wild and crab apples) tend to
          > produce a more granular, dry pulp than dessert types, which, when ground,
          > look like a soupy applesauce. As to my whereabouts last fall- I don't
          > remember- I think that the memory loss has something to do with a batch of
          > apple-jack (freeze concentrated cider),

          I do think that I will have another go at this cider thing, but for pot
          distilling. I can make ca. 23L at a time - ferment it, and pot distill. My
          potstill column seems to like producing 50-55%abv, so if I distill it once and
          collect down to 40%abv, that should yield an apple-y spirit. I think that I will
          get myself a few litres of apple juice and experiment.John V

          > and a batch of banana champagne that
          > were blended last year at the begining of the apple harvest season.

          ├┐WPC5