Can i make a 42 litre wash with one turbo bag??

  • nathanpower
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 3:04 AM
      My problem is this....
      With a 50 litre boiler, i want to make about a 42 or 43 litre wash,
      now my question is, if i have a 60 litre fermenter, would i get more
      alchohol by adding more water and sugar but still using one bag of
      turbo yeast. For example 12 kgs of sugar, 1 bag of turbo and water to
      make up to 42 litres. Would this make more alchohol than 8 kgs sugar,
      one bag of turbo, and 25 litres of water???
      Please help with my question(s)
      Thanks
      Nathan
    • Ken Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 4:01 AM
        G'day Nathan,look at your grams per litre,your 12 Kg wash is 285 grms.per
        litre where your 8 Kg wash is 320 grms. per litre.Now if 17 grms per litre
        produces 1% alc. you get 16.76% in your 12 Kg. wash and 18.82% from your 8
        Kg. wash.That is in theory at 100% % conversion of all fermentable sugar to
        ethynol.If you can achieve 90% conversion you are going well.Make sure you
        culture up a quantity of yeast to pitch and good luck.Regards,Ken.

        > With a 50 litre boiler, i want to make about a 42 or 43 litre wash,
        > now my question is, if i have a 60 litre fermenter, would i get more
        > alchohol by adding more water and sugar but still using one bag of
        > turbo yeast. For example 12 kgs of sugar, 1 bag of turbo and water to
        > make up to 42 litres. Would this make more alchohol than 8 kgs sugar,
        > one bag of turbo, and 25 litres of water???
        > Please help with my question(s)
        > Thanks
        > Nathan

      • Rev. David M Cunningham
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 5:28 PM
          << if i have a 60 litre fermenter, would i get more alchohol by adding more
          water and sugar but still using one bag of
          turbo yeast. For example 12 kgs of sugar, 1 bag of turbo and water to make
          up to 42 litres. Would this make more alchohol than 8 kgs sugar, one bag of
          turbo, and 25 litres of water??? >>

          It will not afford you any more alcohol that you would get in a smaller
          batch. It would be relational to the quantity. You may, however, run into
          the issue of not having enough yeast and nutrients to ferment off the larger
          quantity. Your yeast may become stressed when working in these conditions.
          Therefore you may end up with less alcohol that you would have had you stuck
          with the recommended quantities.

          Your Brother in Spirit,
          Rev. David M. Cunningham
          distiller@...

          NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
          intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
          which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
          otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
          transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
          forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
          telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.