Fermentation

  • magpie2001au
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2002
      I make a wash from 8 Kg Sugar, 25 litres Water and one (1) packet of
      turbo yeast weighing 222 grams. A friend has been doing the same
      thing, but decided on the weekend to make two separate washes, each in
      a separate fermentor. Each has 8 Kg sugar and 25b Lt water but he
      devided the single bag of turbo yeast between the two washes. Both
      brews (wash) are bubbling like mad.

      His argument is that the yeast will multiply and "eat" all the
      available sugar and I am wondering....will he incur a penalty from
      deviding the yeast,ie, only half the normal amount (to start) in each
      wash?

      Regards,

      Mike Thorpe..\\
    • Dr. M. Legendre
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2002
        On Wed, 01 May 2002 08:58:18 -0000
        "magpie2001au" <mikeltee@...> wrote:

        > His argument is that the yeast will multiply and "eat" all the
        > available sugar and I am wondering....will he incur a penalty from
        > deviding the yeast,ie, only half the normal amount (to start) in each
        > wash?

        In theory, the only penalty he should experience is extra lagtime as the
        initial pitch gets divided up. This works down to a point, where the pitch
        is so small, the lagtime so extended, that the yeasts do not really get a
        sufficient start to work.

        The yeast should multiply to the same concentration, irrespective of the
        pitching rate - provided there are sufficient numbers of them to establish
        a colony - and sufficient nutrient - probably the main concern in a thin
        wash.

        Remember that most manufacturers design their DIY products with a LOT of
        human error in mind (ever make instant cake mix?). Doing everything
        exactly right (in terms of temp, SG, pH, aeration etc.) probably gives you
        100-200% advantage over the slob, who just barely gets it to go.

        -- Dr. M. Legendre
      • cornfed62
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2002
          included in the turbo yeast package also is a quantity of nutrients
          for the yeast to survive and also a component that makes the wash
          slightly acidic. There may be enough nutrients to do the job when
          divided, but there may be package settling during shipment. You
          might get all yeast in one bucket and all nutrient in the other.
          Just a thought. I hope it works well for you.

          --- In new_distillers@y..., "Dr. M. Legendre" <distiller@a...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 01 May 2002 08:58:18 -0000
          > "magpie2001au" <mikeltee@b...> wrote:
          >
          > > His argument is that the yeast will multiply and "eat" all the
          > > available sugar and I am wondering....will he incur a penalty
          from
          > > deviding the yeast,ie, only half the normal amount (to start) in
          each
          > > wash?
          >
          > In theory, the only penalty he should experience is extra lagtime
          as the
          > initial pitch gets divided up. This works down to a point, where
          the pitch
          > is so small, the lagtime so extended, that the yeasts do not really
          get a
          > sufficient start to work.
          >
          > The yeast should multiply to the same concentration, irrespective
          of the
          > pitching rate - provided there are sufficient numbers of them to
          establish
          > a colony - and sufficient nutrient - probably the main concern in a
          thin
          > wash.
          >
          > Remember that most manufacturers design their DIY products with a
          LOT of
          > human error in mind (ever make instant cake mix?). Doing everything
          > exactly right (in terms of temp, SG, pH, aeration etc.) probably
          gives you
          > 100-200% advantage over the slob, who just barely gets it to go.
          >

          > -- Dr. M. Legendre
        • lucvanheel
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 1, 2009
            Hello All

            Thanks to all the people that asisted me with my fermentation problems.
            Thanx to a kind donation of 3 packets of tropical yeast,
            I have now 100L @ 15% bubling away, you can actually here it working if you put your ear to the barrel, wonderfull sound in my ears...lol
            I have gotten leads on 2 more sources for other brands of yeast for tropical climates, can't wait to try these to.
            From being a pain, it's now becomming fun.Moral don't give up to quick, the more you have to try, the sweeter(pun intended) the result when it works out.

            Kind Regards

            Luc Vanheel
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 2, 2009
              Luc,

              Sounds good. Just remember you can re-use that trub or "barm" 10 or 12
              times (Ive used the same barm 20 plus times with no problems), if you
              ever get in the same fix again. Just keep it in the refridge till your
              ready.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lucvanheel" <ethyl@...> wrote:

              > Hello All
              >
              > Thanks to all the people that asisted me with my fermentation
              problems.
              > Thanx to a kind donation of 3 packets of tropical yeast,
              > I have now 100L @ 15% bubling away, you can actually here it working
              if you put your ear to the barrel, wonderfull sound in my ears...lol
              > I have gotten leads on 2 more sources for other brands of yeast for
              tropical climates, can't wait to try these to.
              > From being a pain, it's now becomming fun.Moral don't give up to
              quick, the more you have to try, the sweeter(pun intended) the result
              when it works out.

              > Kind Regards
              >
              > Luc Vanheel

            • Derek
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.
              • RLB
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                  I had a batch ferment for 35 days before I did a stripping run, and it would have gone longer.  If it tastes bitter, it's ready.

                  Robert

                  My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

                • Bill Rogers
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                    test it with a hydrometer.

                    On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Derek <justweldit41@...> wrote:

                    My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

                  • David Eastham
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                      Why dont you invest in a hydrometer, takes the guess work out of the equation. In answer to your question, yes its probably done.
                      Dave E
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <justweldit41@...> wrote:

                      > My mash has been going for six or seven days now, And I'm still getting small bubbles coming up through it but it is cleared up pretty good, It doesn't have a sweet taste, So my question is, is it done now or do I need to wait longer.

                    • White Bear
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                        Derek-
                        I agree with Dave, it is done.  I made wine for 40+ years most of them without a hydrometer and have come up with some very fine stuff.  Check out your fermentation lock and count the times it bubbles.  If it is above 1 per minute it is done and ready for your next step.

                        White Bear

                        P.S. Do invest in a hydrometer, there is more to it then just checking if your mash is done.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013
                          Thank you Dave and White Bear,
                          I had bought a hydrometer, but it was for distilled product, so ill have to get another one, thank you for the info. This is my first mash so its all new to me.
                          Thanks again

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 18, 2013