turbo yeast

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 7, 2010
      does anyone have an opinon on turbo yeast for clean spirits mashes ?
    • Robert Hubble
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 4, 2015
        A couple of things: Perhaps 10 years ago on this list, we answered many questions about bad-tasting washes and distillates, and more often than not, turbos were involved, even though at least one of our regular experienced distillers used them with good results (although he also carbon filtered). It appears that over the years some, many, or maybe even all turbos have improved their flavor reputation.

        On the other hand, there's still a lot of controversy about them, to the point that the Modern Distillers forum locked a thread dealing with turbo use. The last (next-to-last, really) post in this thread is probably the best current turbo information.
        http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4340&p=46066&hilit=turbo&sid=f73c62eea2204d5c6ff40503a28449c7#p46066

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2015 20:33:17 -0700
        Subject: [new_distillers] turbo yeast

         Does this stuff really produce the off flavors that it has a reputation for? I heard that it can produce a high result in just days compared to weeks. But, at what cost? Anyone have any experiences to share?