Re: Going to build

  • ric
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
      Hi Fred,

      I don't know specifically what you mean by s valved reflux still; but what I do know is that a form of Bokokob LM still with a VM addition above the LM take off is the simplest to build and operate, with quite a few advantages.
      One being that everything other than the hearts is taken via the LM path. Hence you never contaminate your product

      regards and good luck

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > My name is Fred and I am a newbie to distilling.
      > I have been reading for a solid month and am ready to take the plunge.
      > The only thing I have now that I can use is a propane turkey fryer.
      > I was thinking of going with a 15 gallon beer keg.
      > Gonna call the local scrap yards tomorrow for a keg.
      > I want to build a reflux still and I have looked at internal reflux plans and understand how they work. I can build that.
      >
      > I have heard that valved reflux stills are easier to operate and control.
      > Does anyone know of where I can find some plans for a valved reflux still?
      > I am sorry if somewhere I am overlooking some obvious place.
      > I have heard about the valve sizes to use and lots of other info on the valved reflux but I haven't found any plans to build one.
      > Can anyone help me?
      >
      > Thank You Fred
      >
      > And happy brewing. whatta wonderful hobby.
      >
      > PS I can't wait to start my wash.

    • Jerry McCullough
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
        use the link below for the plans

        http://www.moonshine-still.com/

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
          I have a VM still on a 15 gallon keg, It works great, very easy to control, but slow.  Product comes off around 95% on first run. Hard to get into the tails if you are interested in whiskey or rum.

          keep sippin
          Bachman

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@...> wrote:

            > use the link below for the plans
            >
            > http://www.moonshine-still.com/

            Jerry & Fred,
            That valved reflux design is unnecessarily complicated and expensive to build, for no gain in product quality. Further, the accompanying potstill design is flawed in that it has cooling tubes through the BOTTOM of the riser (column).

            All in all it's an outdated design. Modern VM stills are a much simpler and better option.

          • fred081646
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 4, 2010
              Well well Harry you sure took the wind outta my sails.
              This is my new passion.
              I thought I was onto something good with those plans.
              There are lots of plans for sale but are they good? Being a newbie I don't know.
              Besides, I am on a pretty limited budget and need to save some money for wash. haha
              I'm glad you stepped up and saved me some unnecessary money and labor Harry.
              Can I build a modern VM still? Do you have any suggestions for me?

              Thanks again Harry.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Jerry McCullough <jkmccull@> wrote:
              > >
              > > use the link below for the plans
              > >
              > > http://www.moonshine-still.com/
              >

              > Jerry & Fred,
              > That valved reflux design is unnecessarily complicated and expensive to build, for no gain in product quality. Further, the accompanying potstill design is flawed in that it has cooling tubes through the BOTTOM of the riser (column).
              >
              > All in all it's an outdated design. Modern VM stills are a much simpler and better option.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

            • gnikomson2000
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 5, 2010
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

                > Well well Harry you sure took the wind outta my sails.
                > This is my new passion.
                > I thought I was onto something good with those plans.
                > There are lots of plans for sale but are they good? Being a newbie I don't know.
                > Besides, I am on a pretty limited budget and need to save some money for wash. haha
                > I'm glad you stepped up and saved me some unnecessary money and labor Harry.
                > Can I build a modern VM still? Do you have any suggestions for me?
                >
                > Thanks again Harry.

                Fred,

                First of all, you don't need to BUY any plans. There's any amount of info on these groups to get you where you want to be.

                Ric Hutchings gave you a pointer that's pretty good. A Bokakob slant-plate still is as easy as it gets. Modify it by adding a VM takeoff side-draft above the existing slant plates and you're golden.

                There's lots of other configurations out there including my crossflow arrangements (meant for specific water-saving operations in dry climates, not for first-timers), but the modded Bokakob will give you a decent start at minimal cost and no angst.

                link to Bokakob LM is here...

              • bigdaddyg851
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                  hey fred , whats up ? i am in the middle of building a valve reflux still not hard to build once you find all your materal .http://www.moonshin e-still.com/on this web site they have a valved relux still and a internal reflux still.
                  have fun, i did !

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Well my friend there is a lot more to making good product than building the still. The world and still design has moved a long way since that equipment was conceived. It will cause you grief.

                    Take Harry's advice to heart.
                    Some time today I will draw up a sketch of what I suggested and post it.

                    Have fun.

                    Harry has reinforced the tip I gave
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                    > hey fred , whats up ? i am in the middle of building a valve reflux still not hard to build once you find all your materal .http://www.moonshin e-still.com/on this web site they have a valved relux still and a internal reflux still.
                    > have fun, i did !

                  • bigdaddyg851
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                      what will cause you grief ? a valved reflux still ?
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ric" <richutchings@...> wrote:

                      > Well my friend there is a lot more to making good product than building the still. The world and still design has moved a long way since that equipment was conceived. It will cause you grief.
                      >
                      > Take Harry's advice to heart.
                      > Some time today I will draw up a sketch of what I suggested and post it.
                      >
                      > Have fun.
                    • fred081646
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Hi ric,
                        I did take Harry's advice and scrapped those plans.
                        Harry didn't specify what he thought I should build but I am leaning toward the bokakob with a 1 1/2" 24" to 30" column. Seems lots of folks are happy with the bokakob design.
                        I am going to go electric as it is cold here and I want to run this indoors.
                        I wanted to use a beer keg (15.5 gal)for a boiler and was having trouble finding one. The scrap dealers here in MI can't buy or sell them anymore. I ran an ad on craigslist and got 8 responces in 2 days. Now I have the choice of the older style kegs or the newer ones. The newer ones have the extended column on top and bottom. Any suggestions for the keg style?
                        I have an old water heater element that is 3500 watt 240 volt that I could use to get up to heat. I will put another element in for the run. I have access to a 1500 watt. I am not sure about the run size element on a 24 or 30 inch column.
                        I noticed one of bokakob's designs had 2 plates in the column. Is this a newer improved design?
                        Anyhow I am gettin pretty excited and haven't soldered a joint yet.

                        You folks are very kind to help us newbies. I have access to years of experience on this forum which saves me money and time of trial and error.

                        Thanks ric, Harry and all the others who freely post here.

                        PS I am looking foreward to your sketch.

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ric" <richutchings@...> wrote:

                        > Well my friend there is a lot more to making good product than building the still. The world and still design has moved a long way since that equipment was conceived. It will cause you grief.
                        >
                        > Take Harry's advice to heart.
                        > Some time today I will draw up a sketch of what I suggested and post it.
                        >
                        > Have fun.
                        >

                        > Harry has reinforced the tip I gave
                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > hey fred , whats up ? i am in the middle of building a valve reflux still not hard to build once you find all your materal .http://www.moonshin e-still.com/on this web site they have a valved relux still and a internal reflux still.
                        > > have fun, i did !

                      • ric
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Hi fred. I was reffering to your mate who is building the valved reflux.

                          I would use 2" for the column with at least 1200mm of copper mesh in it. I have only used the Amphora mesh and have excellent results.

                          I would make the still in 3 sections; that is 1300mm of straight tube for the packing; 250mm for the plates, VM take off and thermometer; and then the reflux condenser (which can be either a vertical shot gun (many parallel tubes and hence low resistance to water flow) or a version of Harrys horizontal shot gun which is termed a cross-flow. If using copper use a threaded connection between each bit or if you are going SS there are a range of clasp type fittings; do a search for BSM fittings)

                          Yes the 2 plate design is better. Just make a hacksaw cut on one side, slip in the plate(can be a bit of flattened tube) and solder it. Do the second cut and repeat. Linish off the outside and its all neat. The bottom plate needs a small lip created (like on a milk jug) which is done after soldering, this directs reflux down onto the centre of the packing.Leave about 15mm between the plates. Solder a nipple on the outside level with the bottom of the bottom plate for your LM path.
                          Next create the out take for the VM. Use 1 inch with the internal part turning down within the column for about an inch or so with its end about an inch and a half above the top plate.(I use a selection of brass fittings here to give strength if you are using copper, otherwise things can get a bit bent at times. It also allows you to unscrew it all to alter or clean at will) Have an inch gate valve on the horizontal path outside then turn down with 1' for 6 inches before you start your liebik product condenser. Half way through the liebik you can reduce to 1/2 inch. the liebik needs to be about 250mm long.

                          The liebik and shotgun condenser in series will be low resistance to water flow so a small bilge pump or such will keep adequate water flow. A coil reflux condenser adds a bit of resistance and so a stronger pump is needed.

                          I would strongly recommend insulating both your column with at least 1" foam (from a plumbers supply) and your boiler. I use 2400W to boil up. 27 litres takes about 25mins and then I lower the wattage back to 800 for the run.I reduce the power when the head temp gets to 30 C. That way I don't get a boil over.

                          My boiler was made from 2 SS LPG car tanks of different sizes. Cut in half ,with one inserted in the other then an inch of spray foam between. That way you can make 2 boilers but its a bit of work.

                          I always take my foreshots,heads and tails out via the LM path; saving the VM for product. That way the product is NEVER contaminated.

                          I am bound to have missed something; ask if you are unclear.

                          have fun

                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

                          > Hi ric,
                          > I did take Harry's advice and scrapped those plans.
                          > Harry didn't specify what he thought I should build but I am leaning toward the bokakob with a 1 1/2" 24" to 30" column. Seems lots of folks are happy with the bokakob design.
                          > I am going to go electric as it is cold here and I want to run this indoors.
                          > I wanted to use a beer keg (15.5 gal)for a boiler and was having trouble finding one. The scrap dealers here in MI can't buy or sell them anymore. I ran an ad on craigslist and got 8 responces in 2 days. Now I have the choice of the older style kegs or the newer ones. The newer ones have the extended column on top and bottom. Any suggestions for the keg style?
                          > I have an old water heater element that is 3500 watt 240 volt that I could use to get up to heat. I will put another element in for the run. I have access to a 1500 watt. I am not sure about the run size element on a 24 or 30 inch column.
                          > I noticed one of bokakob's designs had 2 plates in the column. Is this a newer improved design?
                          > Anyhow I am gettin pretty excited and haven't soldered a joint yet.
                          >
                          > You folks are very kind to help us newbies. I have access to years of experience on this forum which saves me money and time of trial and error.
                          >
                          > Thanks ric, Harry and all the others who freely post here.
                          >
                          > PS I am looking foreward to your sketch.
                        • John Brase
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 8, 2010
                            Hi everyone,

                            I am very interested in this thread since I am in about the same place as Fred - beginning to collect hardware and trying to decide on a design for my first still.

                            And, I'll echo the thanks to all the folks who try to help us new guys out and save us from making stupid mistakes.

                            Braz

                          • ric
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 8, 2010
                              Fred. The schematic sketch Is in my photo folder (ric) in Distillers.

                              It's about as simple and good as you can get.

                              The stll pictured uses the same principal but more elaborate than the sketch. Up to you how devious you want to be.

                              have fun

                              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@> wrote:

                              > > PS I am looking foreward to your sketch.
                            • rbroaders
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 18, 2010
                                I am thinking about building this still as well.I am confused as to what is "VM takeoff" I cant seem to fine any pictures or diagrams. Am I missing something?

                                Thanks
                                great site this my first post (of many I hope)

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Well well Harry you sure took the wind outta my sails.
                                > > This is my new passion.
                                > > I thought I was onto something good with those plans.
                                > > There are lots of plans for sale but are they good? Being a newbie I don't know.
                                > > Besides, I am on a pretty limited budget and need to save some money for wash. haha
                                > > I'm glad you stepped up and saved me some unnecessary money and labor Harry.
                                > > Can I build a modern VM still? Do you have any suggestions for me?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks again Harry.
                                >

                                > Fred,
                                >
                                > First of all, you don't need to BUY any plans. There's any amount of info on these groups to get you where you want to be.
                                >
                                > Ric Hutchings gave you a pointer that's pretty good. A Bokakob slant-plate still is as easy as it gets. Modify it by adding a VM takeoff side-draft above the existing slant plates and you're golden.
                                >
                                > There's lots of other configurations out there including my crossflow arrangements (meant for specific water-saving operations in dry climates, not for first-timers), but the modded Bokakob will give you a decent start at minimal cost and no angst.
                                >
                                > link to Bokakob LM is here...
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                              • ric
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 18, 2010
                                  Friend; I don't want to appear as saying my way is the only way; in fact it's not my way, many other greater brains have worked this out so I can only show you what they have come up with, but it is the simplest to construct and operate, with the bonus that your product path is never contaminated by foreshots heads or tails.

                                  have funLM  VM schematic
                                  (If you need more guidance please ask)

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                                    Well I am moving ahead with my build, slowly, but moving.
                                    I am still collecting materials, planning, and reading lots and lots.
                                    I have picked up a 15 gallon stainless beer keg. I ran an ad on craigslist and got several replies. I paid $30.00 for the keg.
                                    I got a 6 ft piece of 2" copper and ordered 24 ss scrubbers.

                                    Wow the copper prices are horrible. I called a plumbing supply and they wanted $16.50 a foot for the 2" pipe. Also at menards they want $22.00 for a 2" tee. Luckily, my brother in law is a builder and he called his plumber friend and I got a 6 ft piece of 2" copper for free. In return for some product. Product from a newbie haha.

                                    I have a few questions, I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

                                    I will be making the bokabob design with plates in the column.
                                    It will be about a 5 ft. column.

                                    I am going to build Harry's cross flow condenser for height reasons and the fright of trying to make a coil.
                                    I may add a VM later, I just want to get cooking.

                                    I have seen where the product is taken off at the condenser with 1 or 2 tubes, ( 1 on each side of condenser) and I have seen where the product is taken off at the plate in the column. Would I want to do both? It seems like quite a bit of product could fall right back down the column with the cross flow. It would allow for more reflux I guess.

                                    Do you think I can make the condenser out of 2" pipe without using a tee? (cost)
                                    I have a 2 1/8" hole saw. Would I be able to set the column into the condenser ( 2" pipe) by drilling a 2 1/8" hole in condenser. (pipe)
                                    This would allow me to have a dam without the cost of having the column made smaller to fit into the condenser.
                                    I will add a coupler so the condenser can be removed and used on different columns.

                                    I plan on going with electric elements instead of my original turkey fryer idea, because I want to cook indoors.

                                    Now on to the wattage thing. I have read about a wide range of elements being used, from 800 watt to 2000 watt for a run on a 2" column. I will be doing sugar washes only for now.
                                    I understand that each still and the environment ( air temp and insulation) will determine the best wattage.
                                    I was thinking of going with a 3500 watt for heat up then a 1440 for the run. Do you think this will work ok? I will be cooking 10 to 12 gallons at a time. I can insulate if I need to.
                                    Wish I could afford a controller.

                                    On the condenser construction would 10" long 1/4" tubes be sufficient?

                                    I understand that I can't solder all tubes, plates, and end caps due to the melting of the solder on the previous soldered joints. I can't braze due to not having sufficient heat.
                                    Is there some way to build the condenser without having to braze?
                                    Does silver solder and regular solder have the same melting point?

                                    I plan on getting a small car radiator and fan from the junkyard for cooling the condenser. Maybe I will try to use the radiator shroud also.

                                    I removed the valve from the keg and it leaves a short 2" ID column.
                                    I was going to go to the muffler shop and have them make or buy a short stainless 2" OD to 2 1/8" ID adapter for my column.
                                    I know this won't give me much access for cleaning, but I plan on just sugar wash runs for now, I can add a bowl later.

                                    Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

                                    Thank You Fred

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                                      Got to thinking about my tee construction, it won't work.
                                      It was pretty stupid of me to post that. Glad I didn't try it and ruin some pipe. I think you could make a tee out of the 2" pipe but with a lot of work. Shaping the column to fit the condenser would be a pain. Not only a pain but no dam at all.
                                      Oh boy, wish I would have given it more thought before I advertised my stupidity.
                                      I will break down and buy the 2" tee. What some people like me will go through to save a buck LOL

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 6, 2010
                                        While you are at it include the VM path as well; save you a lot of bother later and you will love the simplicity of operation and the quality of product.

                                        Your running element is way to big. 650/800 will be in the ball park. insulate both your boiler and column.

                                        Why would you include the slanted plates if you are taking LM via the cross flow.

                                        Full marks for spending $30 bucks on the T ; onsidering you are going to save hundreds every time you run a batch.

                                        have fun

                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "fred081646" <fred081646@...> wrote:

                                        > Got to thinking about my tee construction, it won't work.
                                        > It was pretty stupid of me to post that. Glad I didn't try it and ruin some pipe. I think you could make a tee out of the 2" pipe but with a lot of work. Shaping the column to fit the condenser would be a pain. Not only a pain but no dam at all.
                                        > Oh boy, wish I would have given it more thought before I advertised my stupidity.
                                        > I will break down and buy the 2" tee. What some people like me will go through to save a buck LOL

                                      • sigoma2007
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                          Hi everyone..first sorry for my bad english... my name is Marinho, and I am from Brasil, city of Luciara, Mato Grosso state (Lat 11°30'00" South Long 50°30'00" West, more or less). I am following these topic "Going to Build" all along and I am interest too in build a still, just the same as Fred. I download the pdf paper "Building a home destillation apparatus, about two type of stills. For me the second type, "valved reflux still head" WAS the best.It isa the same
                                          menicioned by Jerry in their post to Fred.I'm still at the beginning of my projeto, and in fase of read all about it, but decide to do the same project Fred.
                                          I download too the Bokakob's drawings. Ric, In one of your post to Fred you advise to use VM (vapor management?) to improve the still and late, in other post, sad about a schematic sketch in your photo folder in Distillers. I want you to leave these skletch to me, if possible.Then it is my intention to continue with the matter and I ask Fred to pass, if possible, all information to help me in my projeto.Here in Brazil, produce distilates for their own use or to commercialize artesanal products is not prohibited. But I intend, for now, only make brandy ("cachaça" from sugarcane) for myself and
                                          friends.
                                          Tanks a lot for all, best regards,
                                          Marinho.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 7, 2010
                                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sigoma2007" <sigoma2007@...> wrote:

                                            > I download too the Bokakob's drawings. Ric, In one of your post to Fred you advise to use VM (vapor management?) to improve the still and late, in other post, sad about a schematic sketch in your photo folder in Distillers. I want you to leave these skletch to me, if possible.
                                            > friends.
                                            > Tanks a lot for all, best regards,
                                            > Marinho.

                                            LM  VM schematic
                                          • fred081646
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 14, 2010
                                              I am in the process of building Harry's cross flow condenser for my still. I have a 5' column with 24 ss scrubbers and am planning on running about 900 watts in a 15 gal beer keg. I don't want to make the condenser to small. It is too much work to throw away. Plus I may want to use it on another still with more wattage later. I just wondered what length 1/4" tubes others were using for an all around condenser.
                                              Thank You Fred