Re: Fermenting on grains without sparge

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010

      Sidenote J,

      If your doing a single malt whiskey and just using malt it is a good idea to seperate the grain before fermenting.  As Ian Smiley mentions:

      "If you're doing an all-grain mash of corn, rye, and or wheat, just ferment it all on the grain and strain it out later. It'll strain much more easily and efficiently after the fermentation. In fact, this is exactly what the commercial whiskey distilleries do.

      If you're making an all-barley-malt malt mash, you should sparge the grains out after mashing. Again, this is the way the commercial malt whiskey distilleries do it. However, keep in mind that malt mash does not undergo a kettle-boil the way an all-grain beer mash does, so you must limit the amount of sparge water you use or you'll over dilute the mash. "

      JB.