Give Your Sluggish Washes an Energy Drink...

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010

      Hi all,

      Recently been experimenting with speeding up fermentations by adding some of those energy drinks around.  These are chock full of B vitamins and other nutrients that the yeasts seem to really enjoy...  Try adding a can to a 3 - 5 gallon wash.

      I've been getting close to Turbo yeast performance with washes up to 14%  ABV finishing and starting to clear in 48 hours or less..   Some of the brands I've tried are Rock Star Roasted light Vanilla:

      Rockstar Roasted Light Vanilla

      Submit Story to Facebook Submit Story to Reddit
      Rockstar Roasted Light Vanilla review added 2008-09-15 14:25:20
      Purchase Price for This Review: $2.39
      Active Ingredients *Per can, not per serving:
      Mg/% USRDA per serving(whichever are listed on the can) per serving (2 servings in this can) of the following: Fat 1.5g/2%, carbohydrates 7g/2%, protein 3g/6%, vitamin B3 20mg/100%, vitamin B5 10mg/100%, vitamin B6 2mg/100%, vitamin B12 6mcg/100%, calcium 60mg/6%, potassium 230mg/7%, phosphorous 83mg/8%, taurine 1g, ginkgo biloba leaf extract 150mg, caffeine 120mg, guarana 25mg, inositol 25mg, l-carnitine 25mg, panax ginseng extract 25mg, milk thistle extract 20mg.

      also:

      Power Trip Mango

      Submit Story to Facebook Submit Story to Reddit
      Power Trip Mango review added 2009-05-29 18:30:55
      Purchase Price for This Review: $1.25
      Active Ingredients *Per can, not per serving:
      Power Trip Mango contains the following mg/% of USRDA (whichever, or both, if listed on the can) per serving (2 servings in this container): Carbohydrates 27g/9%, Sugars 27g, Caffeine 105mg, Taurine 1g, Glucuronolactone 38mg, Inositol 36mg, Guarana 23mg, Vitamin C 100%, Vitamin B2 100%, Vitamin B3 100%, Vitamin B5 100%, Vitamin B6 100%, Vitamin B12 100%. For those who buy into Mountain Dew making your partner smaller, you'll be glad to know that this cotains both Yellow #5 and #6. Who knows what #6 does?

      Also plain ol Red Bull works great too.  A listing of energy drinks may be found at:  http://www.screamingenergy.com/energy_drinks.php?i=0

      Try giving those yeasties a shot.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

    • dsmith1997
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2010
        Timing is everything. Caught your message and started a MUm
        wash yesterday with 10# sugar, no multivitamins, cut back on
        the epson and miracle grow but added one can of Redbull plus
        the tomato paste. This morning at 15 hours there is a quarter
        inch of white bubbles on the top of the wash. Appears to be
        smokin! The starting SG was about 1.094 and I check it tonight
        when I get home but normally Mum's dont ferment this vigorously.
        It's impressive compared to the normally ordinary mum ferment.

        Duane

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010

          Duane,

          One more thing,  If your following the MUM wash recipe, dont quite expect the results I have been getting.   As some people know, I use (and have used for the experiments) Lalvin EC-1118 (S. Bayanus) yeast instead of Bakers yeast (S.cerevisiae).

          EC-1118 is a faster acting, more competative yeast then bakers.  It also has a much higher alcohol tolerance with a limit upwards of 18.0% (20% under special conditions), which is more in-line with Turbo yeast yields.

          So if you are using Bakers yeast with an upper limit of 14% ABV, you might want to consider switching to the EC-1118 since if you added 10 pounds sugar to (I assume) a 5 gallon wash, this will be reaching the upper limits of Bakers yeast and may cause some over-stress.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dsmith1997" <dsmith1997@...> wrote:

          > Timing is everything. Caught your message and started a MUm
          > wash yesterday with 10# sugar, no multivitamins, cut back on
          > the epson and miracle grow but added one can of Redbull plus
          > the tomato paste. This morning at 15 hours there is a quarter
          > inch of white bubbles on the top of the wash. Appears to be
          > smokin! The starting SG was about 1.094 and I check it tonight
          > when I get home but normally Mum's dont ferment this vigorously.
          > It's impressive compared to the normally ordinary mum ferment.
          >
          > Duane

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
            I would emphatically second Waldo's suggestion. Although it may slightly violate the "universal" part of Mason's MUM wash, when EC-1118 is available, it's as cheap as any yeast, and the best choice by far.

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            ----snip----
            > So if you are using Bakers yeast with an upper limit of 14% ABV, you
            > might want to consider switching to the EC-1118 since if you added 10
            > pounds sugar to (I assume) a 5 gallon wash, this will be reaching the
            > upper limits of Bakers yeast and may cause some over-stress.
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim aka Waldo.

          • dsmith1997
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2010
              Thanks guys for the additional suggestions. I did use bakers yeast
              but can get EC-1118 locally so will give that a try on my next wash.

              Duane