Re:Apple Pie Recipe Anyone?

  • Stephen Anderson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      Sure. Folks in our area have been making "pie" for years. Take a gallon of unpasteurized apple cider (not commercial apple juice) and add a bottle (750ml or a fifth) of moonshine (or whiskey, or rum) to it.
      Throw in 3 to 5 cinnamon sticks some folks like to use hard hot cinnamon candy), a cup of brown sugar, and a half dozen pealed oranges.
      Let sit for a few days and strain.
      Sorry for no exact amounts, but it is totally by your own taste. Everyone makes it a little different. Just keep adding and playing with it till you get your favorite. Don't let the cinnamon sticks stay in to long as they can get overpowering pretty quick.

      Steve Anderson
      "She was only a moonshiners daughter, but he loved her still."
    • pint_o_shine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
        This is the best combo I have found.

        Credit to DunderHead
        4 cans frozin apple juce ,1 tabs apple pie spice ( 1 tea cinnamon--1/4 nutmeg-1/4 allspice) 1 qt clear "vodka", , top with water to 1 gal ,add sugar to taste (brown sugar can be used)
        (if you Heat juice with spice it will taste more like "cooked" apple pie) let sit for day, strain threw coffee filter

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hey Thanks a bunch all,

          Didn't realize it was that popular around here. Definitly will go with
          the neutral, juice and spices.

          Now, if you throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, will that make it
          a la mode? Thanks again.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...>