Apple Pie Recipe Anyone?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi all,

      Hope everybody had a great New Years (and thanks Harry for the fireworks
      !).

      Anyways, a friend of mine in the steel industry, was talking to some
      Southern, redneck buddies about moonshine and they mentioned they would
      love to get some of that "Apple Pie" shine.

      They said its a real favorite down here in the Southern US during these
      holidays and tastes just like a fresh baked apple pie (only a bit more
      on the ethanol side). My first instinct was to make an apple cider
      must, distill, and then macerate it with cinnamon sticks and chunked up
      nutmeg. But then decided there would'nt be enough apple flavor so my
      second thought was taking some neutral and macerating with the cinnamon
      and nutmeg, then cutting with some apple juice concentrate.

      Anyone have any other ideas or done this before?

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.
    • bigjim@wildblue.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
        You can adapt this to suit yerowndamnself.

        Big Jim

        Spiced apple pie drink
        1 gallon apple juice
        1 gallon apple cider
        1 cup sugar
        6 cinnamon sticks

        5 cups Everclear Grain Alcohol

        In large pot simmer all but alcohol until cinnamon sticks loses their flavor
        (30-45 minutes)

        Cool, add alcohol, chill drink.

        A friend in South Carolina makes this. It do taste like apple pie.

        > Hope everybody had a great New Years (and thanks Harry for the fireworks
        > !).
        >
        > Anyways, a friend of mine in the steel industry, was talking to some
        > Southern, redneck buddies about moonshine and they mentioned they would
        > love to get some of that "Apple Pie" shine.
        >
        > They said its a real favorite down here in the Southern US during these
        > holidays and tastes just like a fresh baked apple pie (only a bit more
        > on the ethanol side). My first instinct was to make an apple cider
        > must, distill, and then macerate it with cinnamon sticks and chunked up
        > nutmeg. But then decided there would'nt be enough apple flavor so my
        > second thought was taking some neutral and macerating with the cinnamon
        > and nutmeg, then cutting with some apple juice concentrate.
        >
        > Anyone have any other ideas or done this before?
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        >
        > Jim aka Waldo.

      • Stephen Anderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
          Sure. Folks in our area have been making "pie" for years. Take a gallon of unpasteurized apple cider (not commercial apple juice) and add a bottle (750ml or a fifth) of moonshine (or whiskey, or rum) to it.
          Throw in 3 to 5 cinnamon sticks some folks like to use hard hot cinnamon candy), a cup of brown sugar, and a half dozen pealed oranges.
          Let sit for a few days and strain.
          Sorry for no exact amounts, but it is totally by your own taste. Everyone makes it a little different. Just keep adding and playing with it till you get your favorite. Don't let the cinnamon sticks stay in to long as they can get overpowering pretty quick.

          Steve Anderson
          "She was only a moonshiners daughter, but he loved her still."
        • pint_o_shine
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2010
            This is the best combo I have found.

            Credit to DunderHead
            4 cans frozin apple juce ,1 tabs apple pie spice ( 1 tea cinnamon--1/4 nutmeg-1/4 allspice) 1 qt clear "vodka", , top with water to 1 gal ,add sugar to taste (brown sugar can be used)
            (if you Heat juice with spice it will taste more like "cooked" apple pie) let sit for day, strain threw coffee filter

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2010
              Hey Thanks a bunch all,

              Didn't realize it was that popular around here. Definitly will go with
              the neutral, juice and spices.

              Now, if you throw a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, will that make it
              a la mode? Thanks again.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pint_o_shine" <pintoshine@...>