AW: [new_distillers] Re: Fermenting on grains

  • Sven Sommer
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 27, 2009
    • 13 KB
    Hallo Tim ,
    here is Walter from Hannover in Germany
    yesterday i wrote that i will send a pic from the Faltebfilter, this is a specialfilter for wine or alcohol
    look at the pics
    here it 17:15 Time
    many greetings Walter

    Message 2 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010

      Hi Tim,

      Again sorry for the delay in responding, as I said earlier, most of us were away or just enjoying the holidays.

      For our purposes, it is highly recommended to keep your fermentation covered at all times.  While I dont recommend an air lock for primary fermentations, a tight fitting platic garbage bag tied down works fine.

      Not only does this keep air borne bacteria and flying critters out, but also maintains a CO2 layer over the liquid.   Our friends Down Under also have to watch out for them land based critters like geckos while up here its those blue tailed lizzards and slugs....

      Not to mention the occasional alcoholic raccoon that loves knocking over containers filled with mash ;).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim cheek <cfrewilly@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any sugestions for controling fruit flies, I had a hell of a time trying to controll them in open fermentations?
      >

      > ________________________________

    • tim cheek
      Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
        Thanks I will give that a try, I don't have the problem as bad in the winter, but the summer 90% humidity and 90*f  plus,  all the flying, crawling and God knows what else seams to find it's way into the liquid. I can only imagine what the good ole boy's in the hills found in there liquid years ago. This is a new area for me and it seams a lot like cooking from scratch, which I love to do. I am glad to have found this group and I am sure to be asking more questions and making more mistakes.
        coastal corn liker

        Again sorry for the delay in responding, as I said earlier, most of us were away or just enjoying the holidays.

        For our purposes, it is highly recommended to keep your fermentation covered at all times.  While I dont recommend an air lock for primary fermentations, a tight fitting platic garbage bag tied down works fine.

        Not only does this keep air borne bacteria and flying critters out, but also maintains a CO2 layer over the liquid.   Our friends Down Under also have to watch out for them land based critters like geckos while up here its those blue tailed lizzards and slugs....

        Not to mention the occasional alcoholic raccoon that loves knocking over containers filled with mash ;).

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, tim cheek <cfrewilly@.. .> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any sugestions for controling fruit flies, I had a hell of a time trying to controll them in open fermentations?

      • tim cheek
        Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2010
          test