Question...

  • iratepatient
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009
      I've made a pot still from a generic stainless steel cooking pot. I've done a test run (water) and found that, aside from a small leak at a compression fitting, the lid still secretes quite a bit of steam. What can I use (that will not only stand up to the heat, but is also safe for this operation) to temporarily seal the lid to the pot so that nothing (steam-wise) gets out, but so that I can also remove the lid for future use?
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 12, 2009

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2009
          Note:

          A quick and dirty approach that I sometimes use is applying a strip of that non-hardening plumbers putty (no hazardous materials) around the rim with a bungy cord wrapped around the handles and over the top.

          Works alot better then the old flour/water paste method and is re-usable.

          Vino es Veritas,
          Jim aka Waldo.