Re:parrots beak

  • Eugene Harrison
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 10, 2009

      Another consideration: I found that with my reflux setup, the product was very hot coming out of the PB. It was vaporizing out of the collection jar. So as an afterthought, I made a water jacket out of PVC that fit around the PB and plumbed it into the cooling water. I think the readings on the hydrometer need less correction too. I would send a picture but my camera is on the fritz. Just imagine a 10 inch length of 2 inch dia pvc with end caps. Then holes or slots are cut to accommodate the PB inside, then all sealed up with silicone.

      This may not be a problem with a pot still.

    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 10, 2009

        I do not really have a problem with hot distillate entering my Parrot as I now use a piece of copper pipe slipped and taped to the outlet of my product condenser and angle this down to drip into a funnel and enter my Parrot which allows things to cool as they trickle to the end ….works a treat …you can see my setup working on my stripping/pot head in the files section…refer.. Ken Mc's Column Connection http://tinyurl.com/cv3mwa and is used similarly when I use my coldtip reflux head…hope this helps

        Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)

        Re-posted with correct link

        Another consideration: I found that with my reflux setup, the product was very hot coming out of the PB. It was vaporizing out of the collection jar. So as an afterthought, I made a water jacket out of PVC that fit around the PB and plumbed it into the cooling water. I think the readings on the hydrometer need less correction too. I would send a picture but my camera is on the fritz. Just imagine a 10 inch length of 2 inch dia pvc with end caps. Then holes or slots are cut to accommodate the PB inside, then all sealed up with silicone.

        This may not be a problem with a pot still.

      • victorsteelballs
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 10, 2009
          What is a "parrots beak"?

          Thanks!
          Victor

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 11, 2009

            Victor,

            A parrot's beak is basically a tube that holds an alcoholometer that is placed underneath or attached to the output from the condenser.  This allows minute by minute accurate mesurement of the distillate output.  Frankly, if you collect your cuts in 300 or so ml. samples and mesure each one as has been recommended before in here, then its basically a redundancy and a nice, but not necessary piece of distilling equipement (although some distillers swear by them.)

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.