Re: first time

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009

      It’s like a radiator, has fins and piping and just eats heat. I have mine hooked to a variable speed fan so I can control the temp quite accurately.

    • bigdaddyg851
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
        heat exchanger is that automotive, plumbing what is the primary use, were do i find a heat exchanger ?
        thank you!

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > It's like a radiator, has fins and piping and just eats heat. I have mine
        > hooked to a variable speed fan so I can control the temp quite accurately.

      • triddlywinks
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

          > what is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

          Heya Big Daddy, here's the quick 'n dirty:

          A heat exchanger is a device that exchanges heat (stick with me, I'm not being a smartass) from one fluid (meaning gas or liquid) to another. Your car's radiator is an example of a heat exchanger (it exchanges heat from your coolant to the air). Your car's heater core is another example. A liebig condenser is yet another example. An old steam radiator to heat one's house would be still another example.

          Some other terms that come up in the context of heat exchanger would be "shell and tube" or "plate" and others. Moonshiner's worm coil is also an example of a heat exchanger. With all the different terminology, it can get a little confusing.

          So, perhaps the "how does it work" part might be easier to grasp now?

          In the brewing world, a small scale plate heat exchanger is sometimes used for rapidly cooling beer wort from boiling to room temperature. You may also hear of a "counterflow chiller" used in the same application. This counterflow chiller is actually a long shell and tube style heat exchanger that's been wound into a coil.

          Just to get a little more confusing a condenser of any sort is a heat exchanger, but one where a gas (ethanol vapor) is cooled to the point of becoming liquid (hooch)...this is called a "phase change." It's called a "phase change" when it goes from liquid to gas or gas to liquid.

          To break distilling down to the engineering aspects (don't let the term scare you off), we start with a liquid (our wash). We heat it up in the boiler to the point where there's a phase change...liquid to gas (this is the complicated way of saying "boiling"). We then take that gas (the ethanol vapor I mentioned earlier) and cool it down in a heat exchanger to the point where there's another phase change...gas to liquid (the complicated way of saying "condensing") and collect that liquid.

          Now, to bring this back to the original topic (sorry if this has gotten confusing) regarding your cooling water getting too hot. You had mentioned going through a lot of water. One option would be to find an old radiator (motorcycle radiators are a convenient size, but bigger won't hurt) and run your cooling water through it (a small pond pump or fountain pump will do the trick). Have a fan blowing on the radiator to cool the water. Just keep in mind that this cooling water can never touch the hooch you intend to drink...the radiator is going to have some nasty stuff in it. Another option could be just a bigger container of water so that your run doesn't have the chance to heat all of it up by the time you're done. You can then let it sit to cool off until the next time you cook. However, if you set up and break down every time, the radiator/fan option would save much more water.

          Trid
          -and to think, I could have made it even *more* wordy :)
        • bigdaddyg851
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
            thanks Trid !
            that was very educational, you put me in the right direction .
          • bonesclarke
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 23, 2010
              hi guys
              i live in new zealand so shining be legal
              well after much reading i built me a still
              30ltr stainless boiler sealed bottom water bath style(beer keg)
              1mtr 50mm dia s/s reflux tower
              s/s 50mm dia head
              38mm dia copper internal 50mm dia s/s outer water jacket condenser 500mm long
              lpg gas double burner
              all connections are 316 stainless dairy fittings
              all tubes 316 s/s except for the copper one
              it can be use as a pot still or a reflux still due to fittings
              takes about 45 mins to heat up
              does about 60% as pot on stripping run or 92% on single reflux run
              first run was a turbo yeast
              lots of smell and taste even after reflux
              second run was a super brew pack from the bin inn
              no smell very little taste in pot run twice
              made some grappa need to run again but still good
              have some pears brewing now
              making lots of brews to get use to my still
              this is my story so far