reflux

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
      i might be asking for alot, but anybody out there have detailed instructions or a web site for a valved reflux design stiil. i want to step up from a swans neck still that took me about 2hrs to build .it works,it taste fine but i am sure my pecent of Alcohol is low though it taste stong i just orderd a Alcoholmeter.
    • ric
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 3, 2009
        By all means build a valved reflux still.
        However if you want simplicity of construction and operation a combination of a Bokakob LM still with a VM addition makes a lot of sense.
        First being you take your foreshots and tails via the LM path; reserving VM for the product part of the run. That way your collection path is never contaminated.
        Plus VM must be the ultimate in simplicity of operation.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

        > i might be asking for alot, but anybody out there have detailed instructions or a web site for a valved reflux design stiil. i want to step up from a swans neck still that took me about 2hrs to build .it works,it taste fine but i am sure my pecent of Alcohol is low though it taste stong i just orderd a Alcoholmeter.

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 4, 2009
          Daddy,

          You need to make a decision whether you want taste or strength, natural flavors or high-ABV, Scotch whisky or (literally) rocket fuel. These two endeavors are not completely mutually exclusive, but they are usually at odds with each other.

          A potstill is the logical choice for naturally liquor flavors, while a reflux still is the logical choice for flavorless ethanol-water azeotrope, which you can dilute and to which you can add artificial flavors.

          It's a choice.