Odors when distilling

  • victorsteelballs
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
      Before I get into this, I need to know what has strong odors which would call the law, and what does not. Somewhere I seem to recall that some have no odor at all?

      Thanks for your help!
      Victor
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
        Unless you have leaks in your still you should not get any smell from distilling. When you distill all of the vapors are turned into liquid. That is the Hooch. Just pour the backset (what's left in the still after you boil it off) down the drain, unless you are saving it for the next wash.
        Fermenting is when you get some odor. Sugar wash smells like yeast bread. The molasses in the rum wash smells like beer, corn whisky has a bit of sour smell none of them none of them smell stronger than beer which is what you're making

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "victorsteelballs" <BlazingHawk@...> wrote:

        > Before I get into this, I need to know what has strong odors which would call the law, and what does not. Somewhere I seem to recall that some have no odor at all?
        >
        > Thanks for your help!
        > Victor

      • ric
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 2009
          Initially,before the fore shots are taken there are some un-condensable vapours which have a slightly sweet odour. But they don't last long nor are they very offensive.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael" <siscoweb@...> wrote:

          > Unless you have leaks in your still you should not get any smell from distilling. When you distill all of the vapors are turned into liquid. That is the Hooch. Just pour the backset (what's left in the still after you boil it off) down the drain, unless you are saving it for the next wash.
          > Fermenting is when you get some odor. Sugar wash smells like yeast bread. The molasses in the rum wash smells like beer, corn whisky has a bit of sour smell none of them none of them smell stronger than beer which is what you're making
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "victorsteelballs" <BlazingHawk@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Before I get into this, I need to know what has strong odors which would call the law, and what does not. Somewhere I seem to recall that some have no odor at all?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help!
          > > Victor

        • victorsteelballs
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
            Thanks for the info. I remember reading years back that the revenoorers claimed to be able to smell the stills from miles away. I guess it was just boastful tales.