first time

  • bigdaddyg851
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
      i have made a still using a five gallon pepsi soda can and 24ft of coiled 3/8 copper tubing witch i cool in a tub of water ciculating by hand and changing when the water gets to warm (I USE A LOT OF WATER) . i have been looking around the web for some type of something were i can some how cirulate and cool the water in the tub ? any one have any ideas ! thanks
    • tim cheek
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2009
        Try a parts washer pump, Harbor Freight $ 25.00 runs on 110v

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009
          I am not familiar with a parts washer pump, but I wonder if an aquarium bubbler would reduce the temperature of the water by continuously adding ambient air, which I am presuming is cooler than the water.  The bubbler would be pretty cheap.
          -Chip

          Chip Wolfe

          "There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with unexpected outcomes." - Buckminster Fuller

          Re: first time

          Posted by: "tim cheek" cfrewilly@...   cfrewilly

          Wed Dec 2, 2009 1:38 pm (PST)

          Try a parts washer pump, Harbor Freight $ 25.00 runs on 110v

          ________________________________
          i have made a still using a five gallon pepsi soda can and 24ft of coiled 3/8 copper tubing witch i cool in a tub of water ciculating by hand and changing when the water gets to warm (I USE A LOT OF WATER) . i have been looking around the web for some type of something were i can some how cirulate and cool the water in the tub ? any one have any ideas ! thanks

        • Gary Morin
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009
            thanks chip ! i was digging around my basement last night and i ran across a cold plate, used for portable draft beer  systems . there is an outlet and an inlet that you put it at the bottom of a cooler and fill with ice . for draft beer co2 at 10 psi  would push the beer through the cold plate and out the spicket witch is attached with a hole through the front of the cooler. so i am thinking i need some type pump to ciculate the water through the cold plate from my ten gallon tub .
            ps. i am looking for detailed instrutions for a reflux still if anybody wants to part with them .
            thanks

            I am not familiar with a parts washer pump, but I wonder if an aquarium bubbler would reduce the temperature of the water by continuously adding ambient air, which I am presuming is cooler than the water.  The bubbler would be pretty cheap.

            -Chip

            Chip Wolfe

            "There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with unexpected outcomes." - Buckminster Fuller

            Re: first time

            Posted by: "tim cheek" cfrewilly@yahoo. com   cfrewilly

            Wed Dec 2, 2009 1:38 pm (PST)

            Try a parts washer pump, Harbor Freight $ 25.00 runs on 110v

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            i have made a still using a five gallon pepsi soda can and 24ft of coiled 3/8 copper tubing witch i cool in a tub of water ciculating by hand and changing when the water gets to warm (I USE A LOT OF WATER) . i have been looking around the web for some type of something were i can some how cirulate and cool the water in the tub ? any one have any ideas ! thanks

          • Michael
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009
              I had one set up with cold water from the hose went in the bottom and an overflow hose on the top to carry the water off.
              I have not tried the bubbler but I do Heating and Air Conditioning and I don think the bubbler would move enough air to carry away all of the heat needed. Water conducts 30X more heat than air

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2009
                It's very simple, the pump sits in the water tank, the inlet is made into the pump. You will need to pump the water off by adding more length ot the hose comming out of the pump. The pump is very safe for water as it is made to pump cleaning solvent ( very flamable ) and you plug the 110v cord to any home outlet.

                I had one set up with cold water from the hose went in the bottom and an overflow hose on the top to carry the water off.
                I have not tried the bubbler but I do Heating and Air Conditioning and I don think the bubbler would move enough air to carry away all of the heat needed. Water conducts 30X more heat than air

                --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, Chip Wolfe <chipwolfe350@ ...> wrote:

                > I am not familiar with a parts washer pump, but I wonder if an
                > aquarium bubbler would reduce the temperature of the water by
                > continuously adding ambient air, which I am presuming is cooler than
                > the water. The bubbler would be pretty cheap.
                > -Chip
                >
                > Chip Wolfe
                > chipwolfe350@ ...
                >
                > "There is no such thing as a failed experiment, only experiments with
                > unexpected outcomes." - Buckminster Fuller
                >
                > Re: first time
                > Posted by: "tim cheek" cfrewilly@.. . cfrewilly
                > Wed Dec 2, 2009 1:38 pm (PST)
                >

                > Try a parts washer pump, Harbor Freight $ 25.00 runs on 110v
                >
                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Ed Barcik
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 4, 2009

                  I’ve been very lucky with an oil cooler or transmission cooler but personally I use a heat exchanger that is unreal for taking heat away.

                • bigdaddyg851
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 4, 2009
                    what is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009

                      It’s like a radiator, has fins and piping and just eats heat. I have mine hooked to a variable speed fan so I can control the temp quite accurately.

                    • bigdaddyg851
                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
                        heat exchanger is that automotive, plumbing what is the primary use, were do i find a heat exchanger ?
                        thank you!

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                        > It's like a radiator, has fins and piping and just eats heat. I have mine
                        > hooked to a variable speed fan so I can control the temp quite accurately.

                      • triddlywinks
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bigdaddyg851" <bigdaddyg851@...> wrote:

                          > what is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

                          Heya Big Daddy, here's the quick 'n dirty:

                          A heat exchanger is a device that exchanges heat (stick with me, I'm not being a smartass) from one fluid (meaning gas or liquid) to another. Your car's radiator is an example of a heat exchanger (it exchanges heat from your coolant to the air). Your car's heater core is another example. A liebig condenser is yet another example. An old steam radiator to heat one's house would be still another example.

                          Some other terms that come up in the context of heat exchanger would be "shell and tube" or "plate" and others. Moonshiner's worm coil is also an example of a heat exchanger. With all the different terminology, it can get a little confusing.

                          So, perhaps the "how does it work" part might be easier to grasp now?

                          In the brewing world, a small scale plate heat exchanger is sometimes used for rapidly cooling beer wort from boiling to room temperature. You may also hear of a "counterflow chiller" used in the same application. This counterflow chiller is actually a long shell and tube style heat exchanger that's been wound into a coil.

                          Just to get a little more confusing a condenser of any sort is a heat exchanger, but one where a gas (ethanol vapor) is cooled to the point of becoming liquid (hooch)...this is called a "phase change." It's called a "phase change" when it goes from liquid to gas or gas to liquid.

                          To break distilling down to the engineering aspects (don't let the term scare you off), we start with a liquid (our wash). We heat it up in the boiler to the point where there's a phase change...liquid to gas (this is the complicated way of saying "boiling"). We then take that gas (the ethanol vapor I mentioned earlier) and cool it down in a heat exchanger to the point where there's another phase change...gas to liquid (the complicated way of saying "condensing") and collect that liquid.

                          Now, to bring this back to the original topic (sorry if this has gotten confusing) regarding your cooling water getting too hot. You had mentioned going through a lot of water. One option would be to find an old radiator (motorcycle radiators are a convenient size, but bigger won't hurt) and run your cooling water through it (a small pond pump or fountain pump will do the trick). Have a fan blowing on the radiator to cool the water. Just keep in mind that this cooling water can never touch the hooch you intend to drink...the radiator is going to have some nasty stuff in it. Another option could be just a bigger container of water so that your run doesn't have the chance to heat all of it up by the time you're done. You can then let it sit to cool off until the next time you cook. However, if you set up and break down every time, the radiator/fan option would save much more water.

                          Trid
                          -and to think, I could have made it even *more* wordy :)
                        • bigdaddyg851
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 5, 2009
                            thanks Trid !
                            that was very educational, you put me in the right direction .
                          • bonesclarke
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 23, 2010
                              hi guys
                              i live in new zealand so shining be legal
                              well after much reading i built me a still
                              30ltr stainless boiler sealed bottom water bath style(beer keg)
                              1mtr 50mm dia s/s reflux tower
                              s/s 50mm dia head
                              38mm dia copper internal 50mm dia s/s outer water jacket condenser 500mm long
                              lpg gas double burner
                              all connections are 316 stainless dairy fittings
                              all tubes 316 s/s except for the copper one
                              it can be use as a pot still or a reflux still due to fittings
                              takes about 45 mins to heat up
                              does about 60% as pot on stripping run or 92% on single reflux run
                              first run was a turbo yeast
                              lots of smell and taste even after reflux
                              second run was a super brew pack from the bin inn
                              no smell very little taste in pot run twice
                              made some grappa need to run again but still good
                              have some pears brewing now
                              making lots of brews to get use to my still
                              this is my story so far