Re: [new_distillers] whiskey trub questions

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
      When I do a mixed grain batch the cracked well soaked grains post fermentation (they are only there for flavour after all) get dried (food/fruit drier) and used to make bread. Gives the bread a really great taste, sort of malty, but also nutty. Hard to describe, but well worth the effort of drying the trub to get!

      P.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

        > When I do a mixed grain batch the cracked well soaked grains post fermentation (they are only there for flavour after all) get dried (food/fruit drier) and used to make bread. Gives the bread a really great taste, sort of malty, but also nutty. Hard to describe, but well worth the effort of drying the trub to get!
        >
        > P.

        Now you've piqued my interest! As a batch/scratch baker of some 35+ yrs standing, I'm extremely interested in your breadmaking methods using the trub. Paul, can you provide a little more info?

        I used to make a multi-grain loaf (9-grain) with soaked grains (o'nite) and chopped mxd nuts. Won a couple of awards with that one.

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2009
          Good job, Paul,

          I'm an allgrain brewer, and the spent grain from my Scotch ale and foreign extra stout makes *killer* muffins, with flavor just like you say. In addition, this grain is low-carbohydrate, because we drank all the starch, sorta.

          This has me thinking; maybe Scotch ale pancakes. Ooohh

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith <praxis178@...> wrote:

          > When I do a mixed grain batch the cracked well soaked grains post fermentation (they are only there for flavour after all) get dried (food/fruit drier) and used to make bread. Gives the bread a really great taste, sort of malty, but also nutty. Hard to describe, but well worth the effort of drying the trub to get!
          >
          > P.

          ----snip----
        • Paul Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2009
            OK, first this isn't the druff from a leutering of a malt mash we're talking about, but the grains from a simple grain flavoured sugar wash. (4lbs of mixed grains, I use poultry feed the unsupplemented kind, 6lbs of sugar and water to make ~5gals), I found that if you cracked the grains not only did the flavour improve, but also the yield..

            Right back to the bread!

            Using a normal wholemeal flour (only need a couple of table spoons at the this point) make up your yeast water (750ml) mix + ~1Tbs of oil and salt and sugar and one whole egg. Let the yeast get going, once bubbles start add 2cups of the dried trub (grainy yeast sludge) and some more flour. You want the mix to be liquid but still quite gooey. Leave this goo for a couple of hours in a warm spot to really get going. Now as you walk past during the day add more flour till the mix is about ready to knead. At this point turn it out of the mixing bowl and start kneading. Divide into two equal loaves and bake at 220C for 45mins after proving etc.

            Now for the optional extras! This is also a "medicinal" bread if you add the following seeds:
            Pumpkin seeds: small mound in the palm of your hand.
            Pine nuts: small mound in the palm....
            Sunflower seeds: same amount.

            These seeds are known to reduce the risks of prostate problems in a Mediterranean diet.

            Now when I make this I usually "just do it" with out giving things much thought, so I may have left out something, so if it sounds like something is missing or doesn't seem right let me know and I'll make some notes when I make the next batch (Tuesday-ish). This bread has won "best in show" a couple of times and best whole grain bread more times than I care to count!

            P.

            > When I do a mixed grain batch the cracked well soaked grains post fermentation (they are only there for flavour after all) get dried (food/fruit drier) and used to make bread. Gives the bread a really great taste, sort of malty, but also nutty. Hard to describe, but well worth the effort of drying the trub to get!
            >
            > P.

            Now you've piqued my interest! As a batch/scratch baker of some 35+ yrs standing, I'm extremely interested in your breadmaking methods using the trub. Paul, can you provide a little more info?

            I used to make a multi-grain loaf (9-grain) with soaked grains (o'nite) and chopped mxd nuts. Won a couple of awards with that one.

            See what's on at the movies in your area. Find out now.