Re: [new_distillers] Re: Not enough product

  • Brian Hopper
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2009
      hi some yeast go higher with out much fusils for example gervin no3 goes pretty high almost to a sherry
      with addition of a say tronozymol nutrient i think  you would achieve the results you were after,
      i have yoused this yeast for schnapps also brandy fantastic results it carres the aromatics as well as the high percentage. try it out it may work for you

      From: drunkasell <hiwx@sbcglobal. net>
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Not enough product
      To: new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com

      Well, some variables here but that could be right.
      2x 20 liters = 45 liters?
      If your 40 liters of wash was 8% a/v then you would get about 3.2 liters of pure alcohol if you stripped it all out. That's about 8 liters of 40%. But if you ran it that far into the tails then you should have finished with more distilled water in your collected low wines- bringing your volume up and your a/v down to about 20 to 30%. This is very typical of my stripping runs. I strip fast and keep everything except for a few ounces of the foreshots. I strip down until I'm collecting about 10% a/v or so. Maybe you were stripping a bit slow and getting a dab of reflux with your pot still.
      I'm thinking that your wash was closer to 10% or richer and you didn't go so deep into the tails. Maybe you stopped collecting at about 20% or so?
      Typically, the higher the a/v of the wash (or whatever is in the pot) the higher the proof you'll get out of a pot still..
      Every pot still is a bit different and everyone runs it a bit differently too. My thinking is that you could have stripped a bit more into the tails but that is always a personal choice. There is not much reward going as far as that (down to 10%) because the time and fuel outweighs the little extra alcohol collected.

      drunk_as_ell

      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@...> wrote:

      > Well i have just stripped a molasses and cornflake wash and i don't think i have enough low wines ,I started with about 45lt of wash 2x 20lt ferments,run it through a stripping run and ended up with 8 Lts @40%
      > to run for distilling, In the back of my mind i l ways thought that a result of 30% return was average, (any advice on this)
      > Thanks BBBOB,,,

      Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7. Enter now.