moonshine recipe

  • poserboy6
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
      This is one of the moonshine recipes I found on homedistiller.org but
      either I'm confused or this wouldn't work.. i'm now under the
      impression that this would not work beacause the starch in the grain
      has to be converted to sugar for the yeast to consume... So if I
      added beano to this will it work? will it work as is? were can i
      order enzyme online? thoughts...

      Moonshine
      A "genuine" moonshine recipe, as still being used by Deb Brewer is ...
      5 gallon bucket all grain horse feed (we use MannaPro Hi Grain sweet
      feed)
      one package of yeast (using bread yeast now--others will increase
      quality and ferment time)
      5 pounds sugar
      water

      Put enough feed to cover bottom of 5 gallon bucket a good 4 inches
      deep Add 5 pounds of sugar. Fill 1/2 full with warm water--warm
      enough to melt sugar but not so hot as to kill yeast. Mix until sugar
      is dissolved. Add yeast and mix some more finish filling with warm
      water--again not so hot to kill the yeast. Cover with lid--our lid
      has a little cap that screws on, leave it loose to breathe.

      4-5 days later it's ready to run! This is an old-timer recipe and
      works quite well. Our liquor is always 170-190 proof. You can
      substitute corn meal for the grain (horse feed) but I don't recommend
      this for pot stills cuz you can't filter it well enough. The meal
      will settle and burn in the bottom of your still. The old-fashion way
      of making corn liquor--with real corn--just is not feasible time wise.
    • John Vandermeulen
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
        "horsefeed" is what we call "sweet feed", and I have fed many horses with
        that stuff. It contains malted barley - hence sweet feed will convert to
        sugar and ferment etc.
        Beano is not diastase.
        I am puzzled over your reluctance to use barley malt.

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
          OK, that clears things up.. I didnt realize barley would convert the
          starch to sugar..silly I know, but i just thought it was for flavor..
          OK I guess I'm off to the feed store to try this thing out.. thanks

          --- In new_distillers@y..., John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@n...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • ups474@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
            Yes this recipe will work (I've done it)- but adding Beano will help quite a
            bit. During the ferment, since it's not likely to be 100%sterile- some wild
            bacteria and enzymes of various types will get into the mash along with the
            yeast. The action of the yeast working on the sugar, along with the long
            time soaking in the water, will make the corn/grain readily "digestible" to
            bacteria (and the enzymes they use), which will break them down so the yeast
            can get to them. The use of Beano just makes this more reliable/fast. The
            addition of malt makes the conversion more complete. If it's that hard to
            get 6-row barley- just buy some corn on the cob- dry it out at room temp. Rub
            it off the cob, then sprout it between two wet paper towels. when the roots
            are about 2 inches long, dry them out at room temp, discard the rootlet, and
            grind the grain in a blender (do this all in the dark to prevent the corn
            from formaing chlorophyll. Also remember to fan the grain with fresh air 2
            times a day to prevent mold)- one pound of sprouted/malted corn will have
            enough enzymes for up to 10 pounds of cornmeal.
          • ups474@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 29, 2002
              Not every county in the U.S. looks kindly upon malt and what can be done with
              it.
            • poserboy6
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
                ok, so I've gone with the horse feed recipe.. thanks for all your
                help.. i'm gonna throw a few beano pills in the mix too.. My only
                problem is that I asked for an all grain feed and when I got home I
                realized it has pellets in it.. I think I'm gonna just go for it
                anyway, but does anyone think this is a bad idea... I mean could it
                be dangerous or anyhthing.. Ok well I'm outta here.. peace
              • John Vandermeulen
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 30, 2002
                  Nope - not dangerous - but I don't know what "eau de alfalfa" will taste
                  like.

                  poserboy6 wrote:

                  > ok, so I've gone with the horse feed recipe.. thanks for all your
                  > help.. i'm gonna throw a few beano pills in the mix too.. My only
                  > problem is that I asked for an all grain feed and when I got home I
                  > realized it has pellets in it.. I think I'm gonna just go for it
                  > anyway, but does anyone think this is a bad idea... I mean could it
                  > be dangerous or anyhthing.. Ok well I'm outta here.. peace

                • terry_auman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
                    Hello,I have done a search and came up with nothing on moonshine
                    recipes.All I am trying to find out is the old way of the way people
                    used to do it in and around North Carolina.My father passed away in
                    1998 and before he passed he told me word for word how to do it, but I
                    lost it.So if anyone knows how to make the old moonshine out of corn
                    in simple terms please write to me Terry_auman@....
                    I sincerely thank you in advance
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 12, 2006
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "terry_auman" <terry_auman@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Hello,I have done a search and came up with nothing on moonshine
                      > recipes.All I am trying to find out is the old way of the way people
                      > used to do it in and around North Carolina.My father passed away in
                      > 1998 and before he passed he told me word for word how to do it, but
                      > lost it.So if anyone knows how to make the old moonshine out of corn
                      > in simple terms please write to me Terry_auman@...
                      > I sincerely thank you in advance

                      Hi Terry,
                      Read this message. The links you're after are in there...

                      Uncle Jesse's recipe