Re: Bokabob as a pot still?

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
      Good luck with the bokabob.I do not mean to say anything about the design. Just my construction issues. Tell us what you are going to use as a boiler.I tried using a turkey frier as a base because it came with the propane burner. I know there are diffferent makes but I got a Masterbuilt,which I am sure is good for frying turkeys but is not near sturdy enough for a still. The lid is thin aluminum and bends under the weight of the collumn. And having one made of of steel is expensive so look at the lid setup before you go that route. Another thing is the sink drain to attach the collumn. I would delete that and just cut a hole in the lid the size of your collumn and put a muffler clamp on the top and bottom and seal it with some caulk. attaching the sink drain to the collumn is a pain and with a two inch collumn it is about 50 dollars in parts. I hope this hasn't turned into a rant, I am just trying to help so you can avoid some of my issues. Any feedback would be appreciated.
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, eam1" <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

      > Yes Duane,
      >
      > There's several postings on people using the boka as a pot still - heres
      > one:
      >
      > Vino es Veritas,
      >
      > Jim aka Waldo.
      > Re: Building the bokabob
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      > GJmmcCbYYDLz524L-pULC_3KuuIZXSBo-yZLNA3VPeKNGHErAkpsznvtSRVYD-_qkOarvK6f\
      > DoyUKZdUFSmA> , "stavjen" <eutherian@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am going to build a still and due to the advice I've been given the
      > > bokabob seems to be the best way to go as I will only be producing
      > > neutral spirtis.
      >
      > I originally ran mine as a reflux only making neutral. I then
      > discovered the beauty of pot stilling and have only done that since
      > then . Just take most of the packing out and run it wide open
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dsmith1997" <dsmith1997@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Greetings, I have a bokabob design relux unit, 1.5" x 42" unit and
      > > I want to make some flavored stuff. I seen other posts
      > > that mention you can use the bokabob as a pot still by
      > > just removing the packing. Is this true? Any other
      > > requirements? I do have a small pot still made from a
      > > pressure cooker but the boiler is only a gallon size or
      > > so. I'd rather use the bokabob unit if it's possible?
      > >
      > > Comments?, Thanks, Duane

    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <oscarmayerman92@...> wrote:

        The lid is thin aluminum and bends under the weight of the collumn. And having one made of of steel is expensive so look at the lid setup before you go that route.

        The flimsy lid issue is easily dealt with.
        Extend your column to the BOTTOM of the pot, Then cut large vapor holes into the sidewalls of the column just below where the column goes through the lid. This allows the weight to rest on the pot bottom and the vapor to pass into the column via the vapor holes.

        Or if you don't like using an extra foot or so of good 2" column, just extent the column part-way below the lid (say 2 or 3 inches), then weld on a couple of 1/2" diameter standpipes as legs for inside the pot.

        Or if you use a socket type connection e.g a union fitting mounted on the lid, build a stand out of 1/2" tubing to put inside the pot to reach from bottom to lid. This will support the weight when the lid & column are placed in position.

        Lots of options. Ya gotta think outside the square in still building.

        Note: Aluminium doesn't like hot ethanol & acids. It pits badly & the metal migrates into your spirit. Plus it's a bitch to clean . Use Stainless pots. A pain to cut holes in but way better once fabricated.