Re: Persimmon Brandy Question

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009

      Consider the dynamics here Vodka.  As the yeast eats up the sugar and produces alcohol and CO2 during the stationary phase, the bubbles of CO2 cause the solids (in your case persimmon fruit) to rise to the top.  As the food (sugar in yeast lingo) is used up, the yeast will start to flocculate to bottom of the fermenter (called lees, which can be used to start a new fermentaion..).

      The CO2 gas will start becomming less and less as the yeast run out of food, and the bubbles will become bigger as the yeast scavage for food on the bottom, and the cap will also sink to the bottom and your fermentation will  start to clear.

      As the sugar is used up, you taste buds will start to only taste the dryness, alcohol and acidity from the yeast fermentation.  If you can get a buzz from a cup of it, then you know its done......

      Belive me - it works, a bit old fashioned way of testing, but works.  Learned these tricks from some ol' timer moonshiners who couldn't even pronounce that hydo- meter thingy....;).

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.