Persimmon Brandy Question

  • vodkaman1976
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
      Ok so tuesday night I mashed up all 20 pounds of persimmons. I added 6 gallons water, 8lbs of sugar, 4 camden tablets, 2 tablespoons of acid blend, 1 tblspn dap, and 2 crushed multi vitamins, and 2 packets of lalvin ec-1118. I aerated the mixture for 30 minutes right off the bat. I went to check my SG but found my hygrometer was broke in half, so I have no idea what my SG was. After 1 day I added i more tblspn of dap and another pound of sugar. The 2nd day the fruit all floated to the top and formed a firm cap. So i've been stirring the cap back into the mix and aerating the mixture. My question is how long should I let this thing ferment out? With no way to read my SG is there just a general time frame like 5 days or does fruit take longer to complete a ferment?
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009

        Couple of ways Vodka,

        Keep stirring the cap on a daily basis - not vigorously - lightly to keep the CO2 cap on it.  Watch the bubbles.  They will start going from small ones to larger ones and the cap will start to dissapate.  These are called "dog bubbles' and will start becomming larger and slower.

        Secondly, taste the stuff, when it changes from sweet to dry and a bit bitter (you can taste the acidity) its done.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        Heck, I broke mine last year and never bothered to replace it...;)

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009
          Will the cap fall on its own or just when I stir it back into the wash? I mean when it's done working or will it always clump up to the top? Also as u said taste it to see if it's done, when there is no more sweetness to the taste it will be done? Sorry for the complete lack of knowledge on this but it is my first fruit fermentation and its already a lot different from a sugar wash.
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2009

            Consider the dynamics here Vodka.  As the yeast eats up the sugar and produces alcohol and CO2 during the stationary phase, the bubbles of CO2 cause the solids (in your case persimmon fruit) to rise to the top.  As the food (sugar in yeast lingo) is used up, the yeast will start to flocculate to bottom of the fermenter (called lees, which can be used to start a new fermentaion..).

            The CO2 gas will start becomming less and less as the yeast run out of food, and the bubbles will become bigger as the yeast scavage for food on the bottom, and the cap will also sink to the bottom and your fermentation will  start to clear.

            As the sugar is used up, you taste buds will start to only taste the dryness, alcohol and acidity from the yeast fermentation.  If you can get a buzz from a cup of it, then you know its done......

            Belive me - it works, a bit old fashioned way of testing, but works.  Learned these tricks from some ol' timer moonshiners who couldn't even pronounce that hydo- meter thingy....;).

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.