need a answer

  • bbbob194713
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
      I put in Masons cornflake wash with some stuff i had cleaned from a house i box raisin bran and i box rice crispis tomatoe past and mollasses and the rest of it but i put double yeast by mistake ,started with 1060sg i did not know how to get it up any higher so i left it, the first day it went mad sacond day 1030 and now 3rd day 1000 and it is still moving how long should it take, and how could i have got it any higher in sg i think it started about 7%abv total wash was 40lts 2 x 20lt thanks,,, bbbob
    • gnikomson2000
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@...> wrote:

        > I put in Masons cornflake wash with some stuff i had cleaned from a house i box raisin bran and i box rice crispis tomatoe past and mollasses and the rest of it but i put double yeast by mistake ,started with 1060sg i did not know how to get it up any higher so i left it, the first day it went mad sacond day 1030 and now 3rd day 1000 and it is still moving how long should it take, and how could i have got it any higher in sg i think it started about 7%abv total wash was 40lts 2 x 20lt thanks,,, bbbob

        If it's down to 1000 it's done. You better run it. Rack it off the lees first & use said lees to start your next mash.

      • bbbob194713
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
          How can i get the abv up on the wash i don't fully under stand how it works i think it started out on 5-7%abv which i don't think is very high thanks,,,bbbob

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I put in Masons cornflake wash with some stuff i had cleaned from a house i box raisin bran and i box rice crispis tomatoe past and mollasses and the rest of it but i put double yeast by mistake ,started with 1060sg i did not know how to get it up any higher so i left it, the first day it went mad sacond day 1030 and now 3rd day 1000 and it is still moving how long should it take, and how could i have got it any higher in sg i think it started about 7%abv total wash was 40lts 2 x 20lt thanks,,, bbbob
          > >

          > If it's down to 1000 it's done. You better run it. Rack it off the lees first & use said lees to start your next mash.
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

        • Paul Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2009
            Start with more sugar (either as sugar or as flaked grain) in you mash and the wort will have a higher original gravity, but really for best results you want a lower initial ABV.

            If you look up what the pro's use you would find that their washes are all around the 7-10%ABV mark for high quality Whiskey/Scotch. So your wash is right in the ball park, run it and enjoy the fruits of your labours. <grin>

            P.

            How can i get the abv up on the wash i don't fully under stand how it works i think it started out on 5-7%abv which i don't think is very high thanks,,,bbbob

            --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@ ...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I put in Masons cornflake wash with some stuff i had cleaned from a house i box raisin bran and i box rice crispis tomatoe past and mollasses and the rest of it but i put double yeast by mistake ,started with 1060sg i did not know how to get it up any higher so i left it, the first day it went mad sacond day 1030 and now 3rd day 1000 and it is still moving how long should it take, and how could i have got it any higher in sg i think it started about 7%abv total wash was 40lts 2 x 20lt thanks,,, bbbob
            > >

            > If it's down to 1000 it's done. You better run it. Rack it off the lees first & use said lees to start your next mash.
            >

            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7. Enter now.
          • Bob Dobinns
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2009
              Thanks for your comments, its nice to know you are doing it right it gos in the still tomorrow,Cant wait ,,,, bbbob

              Start with more sugar (either as sugar or as flaked grain) in you mash and the wort will have a higher original gravity, but really for best results you want a lower initial ABV.

              If you look up what the pro's use you would find that their washes are all around the 7-10%ABV mark for high quality Whiskey/Scotch. So your wash is right in the ball park, run it and enjoy the fruits of your labours. <grin>

              P.

              How can i get the abv up on the wash i don't fully under stand how it works i think it started out on 5-7%abv which i don't think is very high thanks,,,bbbob

              --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "gnikomson2000" <gnikomson2000@ ...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "bbbob194713" <bbbob@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I put in Masons cornflake wash with some stuff i had cleaned from a house i box raisin bran and i box rice crispis tomatoe past and mollasses and the rest of it but i put double yeast by mistake ,started with 1060sg i did not know how to get it up any higher so i left it, the first day it went mad sacond day 1030 and now 3rd day 1000 and it is still moving how long should it take, and how could i have got it any higher in sg i think it started about 7%abv total wash was 40lts 2 x 20lt thanks,,, bbbob
              > >

              > If it's down to 1000 it's done. You better run it. Rack it off the lees first & use said lees to start your next mash.
              >

              > Slainte!
              > regards Harry

              Win 1 of 4 Sony home entertainment packs thanks to Yahoo!7. Enter now.

              Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.