Re: Easy whiskey and rum recipies for beginners

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi Schnakeus,

      No big deal at all. This hobby is constant learning curve and im glad
      this was brough out in the open. Just hope people now relize when and
      where to use plastics. My views are simply that its better safe then
      sorry, so I stay away from plastics in any post-distilled product.

      And yes, your recipe is a good one, and especially interesting adding
      the essences as well. The only constructive criticism would be taking
      it all the way up to 21% ABV. This is the very upper limit of the turbo
      yeast's tolerance and may cause some unwanted flavors and stess them
      out. Not to mention the heat being generated.

      I use about the same ratios of sugars to molasses, but usually go no
      more then 14% ABV for rums, while the commercial rum makers usually
      shoot for around 10% ABV. Lower ABVs in your fermentation will allow
      more flavors to come through.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schnakeus" <schnake1@...> wrote:

      > Jim and all,
      > Sorry Andy, I shouldn't have recommended plastic, although I was
      talking short term (7 to 10 days to mellow and color. Then dilute,flavor
      and bottle). I also use glass. I don't want to mislead anyone. Jan, are
      you sure it is absolutely that dangerous? I'm no chemistry major. Anyway
      it's a decent rum recipe. And glass is best. Shame on me!

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" jamesonbeam1@
      wrote:

      > > OK Guys,
      > >
      > > Didn't mean to start a flame war here. I was being a bit facetious
      and
      > > "tounge in cheek" when asking for comments on Schnakeus'
      recommendation
      > > to Andy about using plastic milk bottles to age 60% (120 proof) rum
      in.

      > > To try and put this in perspective, plastics are fine for primary
      > > fermentations of up to 20% or so ABV. This is what would be
      considered
      > > "pre-distilled" product. For distilling and "post-distilled"
      products
      > > we are going to drink, there are only certain plastics that are
      ethanol
      > > tolerant, and even then, drinkable stuff over 100 proof should not
      be
      > > stored in them for any length of time. Riku, a moderator and well
      known
      > > still designer here can tell you which plastics are ok for this
      (like
      > > the Amazing Still). However, used plastic milk containers definitely
      DO
      > > NOT contain one of these.....
      > >
      > > The only approved and recommended plastic containers for holding
      > > drinkable ethanol products for any prolonged period of time (again
      under
      > > 50% or 100 proof), are the specially coated PET liquor bottles they
      came
      > > out with about 10 years ago. These have special coatings which form
      > > barrier between the ethanol and the plastic.
      > >
      > > Please do not store or try and age your "barrel strength" products
      in
      > > any type of plastic containers. USE GLASS or oak barrels. PLEASE.
      > >
      > > Remember this Schnakeus for Gosh sake. Below is a posting by Harry
      from
      > > Advanced Distillers on PET bottles and their coatings.
      > >
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > >
      > > Jim aka Waldo.
      > >
      > > repost of Distillers group msg# 39312
      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/message/39312>
      > > Re: Angels share?
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Good information Harry,
      > > >
      > > > Now few more things. As an example polypropylene seems to be OK
      for
      > > > medium term STORAGE of medium strength ethanol. That's not aging
      but
      > > > storage. PET bottles I've had trouble with. I once stored some
      30-40%
      > > > low wines temporarily (for few hours) into a thin walled pet
      bottle
      > > > and it deformed. What we need to remember here is that we are not
      > > > dealing exclusively with ethanol, rather flavored drinks and
      > > > especially low-wines have many other higher+lower boiling point
      > > > alcohols + other chemicals. The combined effect of all these is
      quite
      > > > impossible to determine without empirical testing.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers, Riku
      > >

      > > I'm in the middle of doing up a paper on plastic containers in
      > > distilling. It'll take me a while to finish. But as to your
      > > experiences with PET bottles...time & technology march on
      relentlessly.
      > > The reason they've been able to use PET for beverages like Early
      Times &