advice

  • *
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
      i have done 4 all grain sour mashes, striped them. i have a 5th mash fermenting.
      i have a bit more than 2 gal low wines. can i add these wines to the 5th
      mash and do a spirit run or should i strip the 5th and then do a spirit run? also some of my wines are cloudy with the blue flakes from the end of the strip runs. can i run these or is it best to get rid of these?
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009

        Hey Good,

        I would strip your 5th mash and dilute the stripped runs down to about 35% and do your spirits run.  Save your feints for a seperate run.

        Those blue flakes are a sign you added too much nitrogen in the form of DAP in a mash that was not acidic enough...  This is called Schweitzer's reagent.

        See Below.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        Schweitzer's reagent is cuprammonium hydroxide, and is formed when copper hydroxide dissolves in a dilute ammonia solution). It is a deep blue colour, and is particularly known for its ability to dissolve cotton. The chemist who first discovered this property was Eduard Mathias Schweizer (1818 -1860), so it seems that it should really be called Schweizer's reagent.

        It forms in stills when ammonia released from alkaline washes (nitrogen source may be plant material or yeasts) reacts with copper hydroxide formed by the action of steam on copper oxides coating the inside of copper columns or components. It may be avoided by ensuring that the liquid in the boiler is slightly acid (pH less than 7).

        "Sometimes the spirit may get a slight blue tinge to it. This is usually a sign that you've used too much nutrient in the wash. Mike explains ...

          I [previously] replied, saying it was probably due to copper salts coming from acid wash.  I WAS WRONG!!!!

          In fact, I've learned that it is just the opposite! Acid washes do not corrode the condenser (unless, perhaps, they've been allowed to sit far to long and have gone acetic), but neutral to alkaline ones DO.  Heating an ALKALINE wash, particularly one with lots of nitrogen-containing compounds that have been put in as nutrients, liberates ammonia, which corrodes the heck out of reflux coils and dyes the distillate a distinct greenish blue.

          The Upshot:  if the WASH is turning blue, it's probably due to acid wash corroding a copper sheathed element or a copper boiler, but if the collected DISTILLATE is blue, (and probably ammoniacal, but not always), the wash should be acidified!

          Turbos contain a lot of nitrogen-containing compounds, and at neutral to high pH, these can liberate free ammonia.  At low pH, they are bound up with the acid as salts, and do not liberate ammonia.  So, by adding nutrients to an already nutrient rich turbo, you can inadvertently push the mix over the line and get ammonia with your distillate.