filtering problem

  • johntteswod
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi all, I have been soaking some berries in 40% juice and decided to chuck in some star anise powder and other stuff, its been a few weeks now and now I can't seem to filter it, the anise just blocks every thing up, can I just run it through my potstill, if so will I lose the flavours and because its not a wash as such will the process of collecting be differant.

      Cheers John
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
        John,

        Some flavors will come through the still just fine, like the star anise. Only some flavor notes from the berries will come across. Break up your collection into small fractions, because you don't know for sure when the flavors you want will come across.

        Next time use whole star anise.

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johntteswod" <johntteswod@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, I have been soaking some berries in 40% juice and decided to chuck in some star anise powder and other stuff, its been a few weeks now and now I can't seem to filter it, the anise just blocks every thing up, can I just run it through my potstill, if so will I lose the flavours and because its not a wash as such will the process of collecting be differant.
        >
        > Cheers John

      • johntteswod
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009
          Thanks for reply, would it have been better to distill the star anise seperatly and then add to juice, that would ensure it remains without solids, I will give it a go next time
          .

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2009

            Yes John,

            Powdered spices are an sob sometimes to filter out.  You can try using #2 melita coffee filters cut up to fit a metal strainer and try that.  In the future, use either whole or crushed up spices and botanicals.

            A good trick is to use what the French use, a "sachet de epices" or spice bag made of muslin or cheese cloth.  Put your spices in that and tie it up.  The main advantage is you can macerate your hootch and then just pull it out when flavors are right, instead of fishing around for everything.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.