Re: [new_distillers] Re: Easy whiskey and rum recipies for beginners

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
      You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).

      It's a plasticiser that is added to most food grade plastics, in high density PET is keeps it from forming razor sharp shards when it breaks, in the lower density types it just makes the flexible, and we're only taking PPT addition rates at most! Biological effects start at PPB rates....

      OH yeah the multi-nationals recon it's totally safe, but until I see evidence that the findings made to date are WRONG I won't use plastics unless it's unavoidable.

      P.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
        Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.

        I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

          Your More then Welcome ZB,

          But again, remember this everyone, what we are doing here, is making drinkable "poison" in the first place.  All these discussions on plastics, foreshots, and correct cuts contribute just a fraction of 1 percent to the real "poisons" we are making.  Downing a quart of the best 12 year old whiskey you can get in less then 1 hour will prove this to ya' all.

          So the best adviceto all is: Drink Sensible, Be Safe and dont sell your hootch.  Remember, this is a hobby and an aged,  good and honorable one!!!

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          PS> No I haven't yet joined MADD (mothers against drunk drivers), Im still a member of DAMM (drinkers against mad mothers);).....

          > Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.
          >
          > I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.
          >
          > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith praxis178@ wrote:
          > >
          > > You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).
          > >
          > >----snip----

        • schnakeus
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
            Jim and all,
            Sorry Andy, I shouldn't have recommended plastic, although I was talking short term (7 to 10 days to mellow and color. Then dilute,flavor and bottle). I also use glass. I don't want to mislead anyone. Jan, are you sure it is absolutely that dangerous? I'm no chemistry major. Anyway it's a decent rum recipe. And glass is best. Shame on me!

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
              Hi Schnakeus,

              No big deal at all. This hobby is constant learning curve and im glad
              this was brough out in the open. Just hope people now relize when and
              where to use plastics. My views are simply that its better safe then
              sorry, so I stay away from plastics in any post-distilled product.

              And yes, your recipe is a good one, and especially interesting adding
              the essences as well. The only constructive criticism would be taking
              it all the way up to 21% ABV. This is the very upper limit of the turbo
              yeast's tolerance and may cause some unwanted flavors and stess them
              out. Not to mention the heat being generated.

              I use about the same ratios of sugars to molasses, but usually go no
              more then 14% ABV for rums, while the commercial rum makers usually
              shoot for around 10% ABV. Lower ABVs in your fermentation will allow
              more flavors to come through.

              Vino es Veritas,

              Jim aka Waldo.