Re: Easy whiskey and rum recipies for beginners

    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

      Hi ZB,

      Not sure what they all are or do, but heres a few.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      Toxins, Endocrine Disruptors And Carcinogens That Migrate From The Molecules Of Different Plastic Containers To Their Contents

      Polyethylene Glycol /PEG
      Moderately toxic, eye irritant and possible carcinogen. Many glycols produce severe acidosis, central nervous system damage and congestion. Can cause convulsions, mutations, and surface EEG changes. Found in cosmetics, body products, foods, lotions.

      PET: Polyethylene Terephthalate

      Used for: Soda Bottles, Water Bottles, Peanut Butter Jars, Cooking Oil Bottles

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: Acetaldehyde

      HDPE: High-Density Polyethylene

      Used for: Milk Jugs, Detergent bottles, Plastic Bags, Yogurt Cups

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: Antioxidants, BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

      PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride

      Used for: Water Bottles, Salad Dressing Bottles, Detergent Bottles, Cooking Oil Bottles, Shampoo Bottles, Mouth Wash Bottles, Meat Wrap, Also: Babies' Teething Rings, Pacifiers, Nipples and Toys (Barbie for example).

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: Plasticizers (Lead, Cadmium, Mercury, Phthalates and the carcinogen, Diethyl Hexyphosphate)

      LDPE: Low-Density Polyethylene

      Used for: Produce Bags, Food Storage Containers

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: Antioxidants, BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

      PP: Polypropylene

      Used for: Bottle Caps, Drinking Straws

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: BHT, Chimassorb 81, Irganox PS 800, Irganix 1076, Irganox 1010

      PS: Polystyrene

      Used for: Meat Trays, Foam Take-Out Food Containers & Cups (not in Berkeley!), Foam Packing Materials

      What migrates from plastic container to contents: Styrene (traces found in nearly everyone's body fat)

      > Okay, I'm open to the fact that many, perhaps even all, plastics leach toxins into high-ABV spirit, but can anyone tell me *which* toxins are leached out of medium-density polyethylene, the plastic our milk jugs are made from?
      >
      > Except for the number of carbons in the molecular chain, polyethylene is chemically identical to paraffin wax, generally considered to be chemically inert. Also, because of the physical properties of MDPE, I'd be surprised if plasticizers are included, and our jugs use no coloring agents.
      >
      > So I want to get past yes or no, good or bad, and get to *what*. Does anyone here know?
      >
      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (who doesn't store in *any* plastic)
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Ooms" jkooms@ wrote:
      > ----snip----
      > > Please stay away from plastic, if you don't, you will be a surgeons delight in future.
      > > There is enough information in the archives about plastic in relation to alcohol useage and storage.
      > ----snip----

    • Paul Smith
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
        You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).

        It's a plasticiser that is added to most food grade plastics, in high density PET is keeps it from forming razor sharp shards when it breaks, in the lower density types it just makes the flexible, and we're only taking PPT addition rates at most! Biological effects start at PPB rates....

        OH yeah the multi-nationals recon it's totally safe, but until I see evidence that the findings made to date are WRONG I won't use plastics unless it's unavoidable.

        P.

        --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@. ..> wrote:

        > Okay, I'm open to the fact that many, perhaps even all, plastics leach toxins into high-ABV spirit, but can anyone tell me *which* toxins are leached out of medium-density polyethylene, the plastic our milk jugs are made from?
        >
        > Except for the number of carbons in the molecular chain, polyethylene is chemically identical to paraffin wax, generally considered to be chemically inert. Also, because of the physical properties of MDPE, I'd be surprised if plasticizers are included, and our jugs use no coloring agents.
        >
        > So I want to get past yes or no, good or bad, and get to *what*. Does anyone here know?
        >
        > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller (who doesn't store in *any* plastic)
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Jan Ooms" jkooms@ wrote:
        > ----snip----
        > > Please stay away from plastic, if you don't, you will be a surgeons delight in future.
        > > There is enough information in the archives about plastic in relation to alcohol useage and storage.
        > ----snip----

        Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
          Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.

          I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009

            Your More then Welcome ZB,

            But again, remember this everyone, what we are doing here, is making drinkable "poison" in the first place.  All these discussions on plastics, foreshots, and correct cuts contribute just a fraction of 1 percent to the real "poisons" we are making.  Downing a quart of the best 12 year old whiskey you can get in less then 1 hour will prove this to ya' all.

            So the best adviceto all is: Drink Sensible, Be Safe and dont sell your hootch.  Remember, this is a hobby and an aged,  good and honorable one!!!

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            PS> No I haven't yet joined MADD (mothers against drunk drivers), Im still a member of DAMM (drinkers against mad mothers);).....

            > Thanks a bunch Waldo and Paul.
            >
            > I'm saving this info. I like hard facts *way* better than just handwaving, and I'm *still* collecting and storing in glass.
            >
            > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Smith praxis178@ wrote:
            > >
            > > You can add Bispheno-A (BPA) to that list, a suspected carcinogen and (I can't remember the word, but..) it also affects how sex of an animal is expressed (males less obviously so [smaller penis/testes, low sperm counts], females often sterile).
            > >
            > >----snip----

          • schnakeus
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 2, 2009
              Jim and all,
              Sorry Andy, I shouldn't have recommended plastic, although I was talking short term (7 to 10 days to mellow and color. Then dilute,flavor and bottle). I also use glass. I don't want to mislead anyone. Jan, are you sure it is absolutely that dangerous? I'm no chemistry major. Anyway it's a decent rum recipe. And glass is best. Shame on me!

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 3, 2009
                Hi Schnakeus,

                No big deal at all. This hobby is constant learning curve and im glad
                this was brough out in the open. Just hope people now relize when and
                where to use plastics. My views are simply that its better safe then
                sorry, so I stay away from plastics in any post-distilled product.

                And yes, your recipe is a good one, and especially interesting adding
                the essences as well. The only constructive criticism would be taking
                it all the way up to 21% ABV. This is the very upper limit of the turbo
                yeast's tolerance and may cause some unwanted flavors and stess them
                out. Not to mention the heat being generated.

                I use about the same ratios of sugars to molasses, but usually go no
                more then 14% ABV for rums, while the commercial rum makers usually
                shoot for around 10% ABV. Lower ABVs in your fermentation will allow
                more flavors to come through.

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.